School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by liveforpiano »

Dear Frank,
Thank you for your personal notes on Zez Confrey. I only know a few of his compositions but those few have been with me for many years.
Thank you also for the pieces you have given to us as well. I have not looked at them yet, just downloaded them, but I am sure I shall get a lot of pleasure from playing them.
Peter (liveforpiano)
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Peter,

You are most welcome!! :D The more of this music we save the better, and I think PianoPhilia is just the place for it. I wish you much happy playing!

Frank :D
JeffL

Post by JeffL »

A question about the Ronnie Schiff album [ Of which I secured a copy a while ago at a cost i dont want to remember. :) ..]
it has been out of print" forever" and used copies sell for real fortune on ebay.
ANy chance a reprint could exist someday ?
I wrote to the editor a few years ago about that[chapell if I rememebr it well] but never received an answer...

jf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Jeff,

In reference to the Ronnie Schiff Zez Confrey collected works album, sad to say I doubt whether this book will be re-published. It was originally put out by Belwyn-Mills, and did not sell well at all (regardless of the wonderful content). Belwyn-Mills was acquired by another publisher a few years after the book came out (Warner Bros. possibly). I believe Chappell was the UK agent for the publication, although I've never seen a Chappell edition of the book. I've seen this happen over and again with many ragtime, jazz, and classical folios as well. The rule of thumb is to grab them while the grabbing is good, because sadly many of these efforts end up having limited circulation. I am glad you were able to obtain the book by Ebay at least, even if the cost was high...you have the music.

All best,
Frank
JeffL

Post by JeffL »

Franck,
thanks for the reply ,
YOu were right I wrote to Belwinn Mills I checked on my copy I was mentionning Chapell in previous post " out of [ bad] memory but I had doubt, even while I was typing.
This book is amazing tough...even if I play little stride/Novelties it is always close to the piano for some "play through" to light up a mood after a long day :-)
jf
I will print the stuff you are puting here too but I really hate stride because I cannot reach 10'th...and despise to be reminded of that fact almost every bars.. :D :mrgreen:
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

JeffL wrote: I will print the stuff you are puting here too but I really hate stride because I cannot reach 10'th...and despise to be reminded of that fact almost every bars.. :D :mrgreen:
I remember a documentary on the TV years ago about Fats Waller, where some old stride player claimed some players actually cut the webbing between their fingers to help reach a 10th and some had a small little finger extension. Don't know if this is true or whether it would even work, but i don't think I will experiment although I wish my 10ths were a little easier.

Fats himself had no problem in this department.

Thal
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is the most beautiful "London Suite" composed by Thomas "Fats" Waller. It was composed by Waller during one of his extremely successful visits to the UK during the late 1930s, but not published until after his death. It contains some ravishingly beautiful melodies and deserves a place on every stride pianist's bookshelf.

Frank :D
Waller - London Suite.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Thank you for this- I've been seeking this score for about 10 years.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by thalbergmad »

A couple of years ago, I spent hours making pdf's from the images posted on the Cy Walter site.

Never bothered posting them here as there was not much interest in that sort of thing then, but it appears there is now so here they are.

Thal
Cy Walter - Green - I'm Yours.pdf
Cy Walter - Green - Body & Soul.pdf
Cy Walter - Gershwin - Liza.pdf
Cy Walter - Gershwin - Embraceable You.pdf
Cy Walter - Gershwin - Clap Yo' Hands.pdf
Cy Walter - Gershwin - Bidin' My Time.pdf
Cy Walter - Carmichael - Heart & Soul.pdf
Cy Walter - Begin the Beguine.pdf
Cy Walter - Arlen - That Old Black Magic.pdf
Cy Walter - Arlen - Blues in the Night.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by thalbergmad »

On a totally unrelated matter, I can confirm through personal experience that pouring olive oil into your ears does not actually assist in removing wax.

Hoping this is of assistance.

Thal
Cy Walter - Rodgers - Lover.pdf
Cy Walter - Rodgers - Blue Room.pdf
Cy Walter - Penthouse Serenade.pdf
Cy Walter - Music For Twilight.pdf
Cy Walter - Mrs Malaprop.pdf
Cy Walter - Meyer - Kahn - Crazy Rhythm.pdf
Cy Walter - Mancini - Moon River.pdf
Cy Walter - It could happen to you.pdf
Cy Walter - Isn't it Romantic.pdf
Cy Walter - Henderson - The Birth of the Blues.pdf