School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ragsnstride
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by ragsnstride »

You can find JPJ's Keep off the Grass in the folio "Jazz, Blues, Boogie & Swig for Piano". Also, it's been transcribed by Paul Marcorelles of blueblackjazz.com.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

lebowl wrote:Anyone have James P. Johnson's piece Keep Off The Grass? Thanks.
ragsnstride wrote:You can find JPJ's Keep off the Grass in the folio "Jazz, Blues, Boogie & Swig for Piano". Also, it's been transcribed by Paul Marcorelles of blueblackjazz.com.
Hi Lebowl,

please find attached "Keep Off The Grass". Sorry if the scan is not the clearest ever; anyway it should be well readable.
I used to believe Pianophilia was a place to share music with friends, not some kind of "information service". As you can see there are members who have a different view on that and that's why I've more or less quit this forum. I'd guess that's more or less the same for many of the most active members of the section.

Everybody comes here to download the available scores but very few members contribute sharing their own collections. I hope the moderators will consider to develop stricter rules in such a sense to avoid the eventual forum collapse.

Lebowl, you're one of the few who had contributed so I'm very happy to help you with your request.

Enjoy the music! :D

Luigi
Johnson, James Price - Keep Off The Grass.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ragsnstride

Post by ragsnstride »

Luigi, please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that we could not share music that was not under public domain. The music itself is not, but the book is. I have contributed music in the past and I have been more than an "information service", in my own opinion. My objective was to help. I did take the time to go through my music files and to see if I had a copy that I could post, but I didn't. You may have believed that "Pianophilia was a place to share music with friends" but your previous comment is a whole lot less than friendly and really was not necessary. Welcome back to this forum. I unfortunately no longer desire to be part of a forum where a nasty comment is made publicly instead of being directly sent to a member.

Best regards,
Shoshana
gigiranalli wrote:
ragsnstride wrote:You can find JPJ's Keep off the Grass in the folio "Jazz, Blues, Boogie & Swig for Piano". Also, it's been transcribed by Paul Marcorelles of blueblackjazz.com.
Hi Lebowl,

please find attached "Keep Off The Grass". Sorry if the scan is not the clearest ever; anyway it should be well readable.
not some kind of "information service". As you can see there are members who have a different view on that and that's why I've more or less quit this forum. I'd guess that's more or less the same for many of the most active members of the section.

Everybody comes here to download the available scores but very few members contribute sharing their own collections. I hope the moderators will consider to develop stricter rules in such a sense to avoid the eventual forum collapse.

Lebowl, you're one of the few who had contributed so I'm very happy to help you with your request.

Luigi
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Shoshana, I’m glad at least you, unlike me and most contributors here, carefully observe the copyright restriction rules (as I'll demonstrate at the very end of this message). Since you say you wouldn't post anything that isn’t in the public domain, I assume you’ve been enough coherent not to download anything posted by other members here that still is under copyright restrictions.
If so - and only in such a case – my nasty comment is not referred to you at all.

Whatever the case, my nasty but true comment is referred to ANY member who comes here just to download stuff without contributing. This section has been kept alive by Frank Himpsl and no more than 6 members, but the typical download rate for a posted score is 60 to 80 silent and unhelpful members.

Sorry if you’re hurt for that, but the truth generally is not kind.

By the way speaking of true things and coherence, one of the only two pieces you’ve posted since you’re a member (2010-2017), “Bleeding Hearted Blues”, is under copyright - not the piece itself, since it’s from 1920, but the transcription, that was written by John Farrell a few years ago.
The other one, “Wedding Of The Painted Doll”, is under copyright itself (1929).

Thanks.

Luigi

ragsnstride wrote:Luigi, please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that we could not share music that was not under public domain. The music itself is not, but the book is. I have contributed music in the past and I have been more than an "information service", in my own opinion. My objective was to help. I did take the time to go through my music files and to see if I had a copy that I could post, but I didn't. You may have believed that "Pianophilia was a place to share music with friends" but your previous comment is a whole lot less than friendly and really was not necessary. Welcome back to this forum. I unfortunately no longer desire to be part of a forum where a nasty comment is made publicly instead of being directly sent to a member.

Best regards,
Shoshana
gigiranalli wrote:
Hi Lebowl,

not some kind of "information service". As you can see there are members who have a different view on that and that's why I've more or less quit this forum. I'd guess that's more or less the same for many of the most active members of the section.

Luigi
ragsnstride

Post by ragsnstride »

Luigi, thank you for pointing out how long I've been a member and how much I've contributed and how I was wrong, as it saves me time from checking on that myself.
John Farrell passed away 10 years ago, but you're correct, his arrangement would still be in the public domain.

And thank you for being concerned if I'm hurt. I'm not. You're also correct that the truth isn't always kind, but again, it's very sad when people can't be. Again, no worries, as I don't care to be part of this forum any longer.

regards,
Shoshana

gigiranalli wrote:Shoshana, I’m glad at least you, unlike me and most contributors here, carefully observe the copyright restriction rules (as I'll demonstrate at the very end of this message). Since you say you wouldn't post anything that isn’t in the public domain, I assume you’ve been enough coherent not to download anything posted by other members here that still is under copyright restrictions.
If so - and only in such a case – my nasty comment is not referred to you at all.

Whatever the case, my nasty but true comment is referred to ANY member who comes here just to download stuff without contributing. This section has been kept alive by Frank Himpsl and no more than 6 members, but the typical download rate for a posted score is 60 to 80 silent and unhelpful members.

By the way speaking of true things and coherence, one of the only two pieces you’ve posted since you’re a member (2010-2017), “Bleeding Hearted Blues”, is under copyright - not the piece itself, since it’s from 1920, but the transcription, that was written by John Farrell a few years ago.

Thanks.

Luigi

ragsnstride wrote:Luigi, please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that we could not share music that was not under public domain. The music itself is not, but the book is. I have contributed music in the past and I have been more than an "information service", in my own opinion. My objective was to help. I did take the time to go through my music files and to see if I had a copy that I could post, but I didn't. You may have believed that "Pianophilia was a place to share music with friends" but your previous comment is a whole lot less than friendly and really was not necessary. Welcome back to this forum. I unfortunately no longer desire to be part of a forum where a nasty comment is made publicly instead of being directly sent to a member.

Best regards,
Shoshana
gigiranalli wrote:
Hi Lebowl,

Luigi
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Ok. Bye bye.
ragsnstride wrote:Luigi, thank you for pointing out how long I've been a member and how much I've contributed and how I was wrong, as it saves me time from checking on that myself.
John Farrell passed away 10 years ago, but you're correct, his arrangement would still be in the public domain.

And thank you for being concerned if I'm hurt. I'm not. You're also correct that the truth isn't always kind, but again, it's very sad when people can't be. Again, no worries, as I don't care to be part of this forum any longer.

regards,
Shoshana

gigiranalli wrote:Shoshana, I’m glad at least you, unlike me and most contributors here, carefully observe the copyright restriction rules (as I'll demonstrate at the very end of this message). Since you say you wouldn't post anything that isn’t in the public domain, I assume you’ve been enough coherent not to download anything posted by other members here that still is under copyright restrictions.

Thanks.

Luigi

Best regards,
Shoshana
gigiranalli wrote:
Hi Lebowl,

Luigi
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

The recent posts are extremely saddening.

Shoshana - I would hate to see you leave this forum. I have been absent for more than a year for personal reasons.
This is something I would invite the moderators to moderate.

Not every member here can contribute music from their personal collections. People like Frank are simply amazing in that they have such wonderful experience and personal collections. Others like myself have far more modest collections, Luigi, you were absent from this forum for many years. Many of your previous posts (which I would love to have been able to download) were removed at your personal request. They were no longer available and the moderators respected your wishes in removing that material.

I would like to think we are all friends on these Pianophilia Boards and that at the very least we share mutual passions. Something (previously) had obviously upset you and something recently has also upset you. I don't understand what it is, but it does sadden me after such a long absence to return and see this conflict.

I believe I was a valuable contributor when I was active. I would like to be able to continue to do so. For personal reasons (and maybe a physical absence of material too) I currently cannot.
I believe RagsnStride was an extremely valuable member and contributor, (and a very talented performer), and if she has removed herself from this forum because of your unkind remarks, I believe this forum is the worse off.

Please resolve your differences.

Shoshana - Please return.

tobyjj
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Hi Tobyjj,
tobyjj wrote:Others like myself have far more modest collections
That's not the point. You've been one of the very few active members here who had always contributed music and discussion about that. If all the members were like you, I would have never left the forum and would still contribute to it.
tobyjj wrote:Luigi, you were absent from this forum for many years. Many of your previous posts (which I would love to have been able to download) were removed at your personal request. They were no longer available and the moderators respected your wishes in removing that material.
I've been absent for years and even removed part of my posts (I did it myself, the moderators were not involved in that), for some reasons that are no secret for anyone here. In fact most of the scores in the syncopation, ragtime and piano roll transcription sections have been used by some particular members for arguable purposes: some had included them in their own personal website where they promote commercial activities as a bait to attract people, others use them on sheet music trades on Sheeto but they apparently don’t do any activities on Pianophilia. Then there are others who are even selling them and one in particular has even created a website for such purpose.
tobyjj wrote:I believe RagsnStride was an extremely valuable member and contributor, (and a very talented performer), and if she has removed herself from this forum because of your unkind remarks, I believe this forum is the worse off.
...then there are others whose typical refrain is to reply to sheet music requests by saying they do have those pieces in their collection but they wouldn’t post them, which I feel especially irritating.
The point is not having a large collection to share, but willing to contribute. Even discussion and interest if not sheet music. This forum is already off and the reasons are the ones I indicated above.
And before definitively leaving Pianophilia I wanted to point them out.
AlexeiPianist
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by AlexeiPianist »

fhimpsl wrote:Another German composer within the novelty idiom, but much later (ca. 1940s) was Hans Bund. His records on German labels such as Odeon and Telefunken are all extremely fast novelty style (with terrific technique).
Bund, Hans - Eine Viertelstund bei Hans Bund_Part1.pdf
Bund, Hans - Eine Viertelstund bei Hans Bund_Part2.pdf
Bund, Hans - Pikanterie.pdf
Hello fhimpsl, thank you for sharing these jewels. I was reviewing Improvisation from Eine Viertelstund and I found out the last page is missing. Do you happen to have it? Thank you!!
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

Does anyone have a good solo piano arrangement of Nagasaki? Thanks!