Piano Music from The Baltic

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Music from The Baltic

Post by fredbucket »

caostotale wrote:Here's a small set of folk-inspired works that Lithuanian composer Vytautas Bacevičius composed not long after his emigration to the USA.
I've cleaned up the file a bit...
Bacevicius - Four Lithuanian Dances, op. 35 (1945).pdf
Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

Very nice, Jonathan!
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scriabinoff »

Heino Eller - 12 Bagatelles
(i.e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6cUOrEUAE )

I was a little surprised some pianoogle-ing didn't turn anything up on the boards. Does anyone have these and if so, could they be posted? Did I miss them and they are indeed here but I missed them perhaps?

Manny thanks either way for looking/considering/trying. :)
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

While browsing Toccata's site (to see if the Mediņš: 24 Dainas was available - yes!!), I came across some of the Lithuanian Vladas Jakubénas' chamber music. There are a couple of piano pieces, the Op.2 Two Pictures (1926-7).

There's no reference to Jakubenas on IMSLP, and I've not seen any of his music other than a Rhapsody posted by Alfor. Anything in a pp trove that can be shared?
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Apologies if this should be in the concerto thread. I would be happy to relocate the request if needed/asked to.

I was familiar with the old recording of the Janis Medins Piano Concerto. I came across a recent modern one (a nice one too!). I did not know (accourding to the video description), that the score was thought lost for so long and only recently resurfaced. I would think this has been archived and 're archived' since to prevent it from slipping into obcurity and losing it again in the future. Any chance anyone has access to a library or other source and can post the two piano score if available at all?

Super nice piece. I have listened to it at least once a week for several weeks in a row now. I do not tire of it.
i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBqQchS0oY
ii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zj3Yg8WCgM
iii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsc_9KwZBxY
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

Scriabinoff wrote: I was familiar with the old recording of the Janis Medins Piano Concerto. I came across a recent modern one (a nice one too!). I did not know (accourding to the video description), that the score was thought lost for so long and only recently resurfaced. I would think this has been archived and 're archived' since to prevent it from slipping into obcurity and losing it again in the future. Any chance anyone has access to a library or other source and can post the two piano score if available at all?
I agree that it's a wonderful piece. I searched Worldcat and there do not appear to be any copies of the concerto accounted for in that database. The only concerto of any kind that was available is a piano-reduction of a viola concerto that the Soviet state publishers released in 1985.

The 're-archiving' situation in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet bloc is far from productive in light of how many prolific composers worked in that region.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

caostotale wrote:
Scriabinoff wrote: I was familiar with the old recording of the Janis Medins Piano Concerto. I came across a recent modern one (a nice one too!). I did not know (accourding to the video description), that the score was thought lost for so long and only recently resurfaced. I would think this has been archived and 're archived' since to prevent it from slipping into obcurity and losing it again in the future. Any chance anyone has access to a library or other source and can post the two piano score if available at all?
I agree that it's a wonderful piece. I searched Worldcat and there do not appear to be any copies of the concerto accounted for in that database. The only concerto of any kind that was available is a piano-reduction of a viola concerto that the Soviet state publishers released in 1985.

The 're-archiving' situation in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet bloc is far from productive in light of how many prolific composers worked in that region.
understandable. and many thanks for looking. let's hope this eventually finds it's way into archive.
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Scriabinoff, thank you for posting the route to the piano concerto of Janis Medins.
What a beauty of a work it is. I do hope a CD becomes available of it. And Soon!!!

Peter.
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

Just found a big piano sonata (1946) and lots of other later pieces by Janis Medins in Latvian National Library. Maybe another CD of his music is in the pipeline. Also discovered the work of Alfreds Kalnins for the first time -- made a good collection of his music. Will have to make a CD of that too! Will keep members informed.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

isokani wrote:...Also discovered the work of Alfreds Kalnins for the first time -- made a good collection of his music. Will have to make a CD of that too! Will keep members informed.
...for the second time!!??

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68&p=10279&hilit=kalnins#p10279
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor