Piano Music from The Baltic

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Richard0428

Re: Piano Music from The Baltic

Post by Richard0428 »

Just returned from my holidays today, in the Baltic, and managed to pick up a score - courtesy of an amazingly friendly and helpful lady called Else from the Reading Room at the Latvian National Library - a score I (among others) have been looking for for ages. The National Library in Riga have all 24 Dainas by Medins; I've first attached the glorious, haunting no. 14, the most sought-after of the ones not included in the selection of twelve shared so generously here by Alfor. I'll scan and upload the remaining 23 in the next couple of days. Here I must say many thanks for introducing me to Medins in the first place, Alfred - one of many wonderful new discoveries I'd have never made without your generous and amazingly prolific contribution, although I only have time to look at a very tiny fraction of it!.
The edition is a different one from that used for Alfred's downloaded selection of twelve Dainas, and not quite as clear (especially since the only copy in the Riga library, which I used, is itself already a photocopy) but it's all legible, and it finally makes a complete set!
Medins Daina 14.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by alfor »

Great! Thank you very much! Eagerly waitung for the rest!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Richard, what a great find! I, too, have been haunted especially by beauty of Daina No.14 and it is so very wonderful to have a legible copy. That you have managed to locate all of them is absolutely wonderful and everyone at pianophilia will have great fun playing through the others when you get them uploaded. I also have enjoyed the collection Alfor posted a while back and have been hoping for some time that the remaining pieces could be located. Thank you so much, Richard.
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

Here's the first of the two books, with Dainas 1 to 12. Sorry: a few pages are pretty faint (the 'original' photocopy was as bad), although they can still be read, plus I doubled up a couple of pages (20 and 57).
Dainas 13-24 to come soon.
Medins Dainas 1 to 6.pdf
Medins Dainas 7-12.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

Here's the second book, with the last 12 Dainas. Two or three more doubled-up pages I'm afraid (I'm pretty jetlagged....)
Medins Dainas 13-18.pdf
Medins Dainas 19 to 24.pdf
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Thank you very much Richard. I have been looking for the complete set since Alfor had posted the selections and the recordings.

Best,
Koon
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

What about KALNINS a.o. :D ?
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

Good point, Alfor! Unfortunately I was at the library about 3 hours before they closed for the long weekend (three days), and had only time to hastily collect the Medins before moving on. I do however hopefully have a contact at the library in Riga now now and will try asking for other scores!
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

I believe our friend Mr Powell has recorded all of the Medins Dainas for a forthcoming Toccata Classics release...
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

4candles wrote:I believe our friend Mr Powell has recorded all of the Medins Dainas for a forthcoming Toccata Classics release...
I hope Mr Powell will keep us all advised of that forthcoming recording, as I sure look forward to acquiring it.

Most of all, thanks to Richard for finally, FINALLY, F.I.N.A.L.L.Y !!!! unearthing for all us hungry pianophiliacs, all 24 of the Dainas. Very grateful, Richard.