Music of the GDR

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music of the GDR

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

klavierelch wrote:Brian, my experience is that Peters took over all Peters Leipzig scores by GDR composers which were still in print in 1989 (they are still in their online catalogue and I saw some of them in music stores), but that they didn't re-print works which were out-of-print at that time. That's much more than you can say of Breitkopf; they erased nearly everything from the GDR from their catalogue.

Unfortunately Peters wasn't as "nice" concerning archives which they took over from e.g. Kahnt. Even simple request to their archive weren't answered :cry:
Our experienece with Peters was they they were ordered by the parent company to get rid of all the rubbish and we saw for ourselves the skips full of music. I am glad your experienece shows that they were not so merciless as their bosses wanted obviously keeping the stuff that was still moving. You are right though they threw all the babies out with a reservoir full of bath water and I find it difficult to forgive any of the big companies that just binned everything. I must add that the situation is no different in America, many publishers having taken over another got rid of everything leaving not one example in an archive, I know that through my contact with a European publisher who has had terrible problems in the USA so it seems there is a general policy to get rid of everything that is no longer in circulation. Thank God for sites like ours.
best wishes
Brian
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

That's indeed a totally cultureless behaviour. At least they could have given their last copies to some libraries or archives.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

I am looking for Günter Kochan's "Kindermusik – Neun kleine Stücke für Klavier (1960) " and the Suite for Piano.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
klavierelch
Site Admin

Post by klavierelch »

ilu wrote:I am looking for Günter Kochan's "Kindermusik – Neun kleine Stücke für Klavier (1960) " and the Suite for Piano.

Ilu.
Ilu, both works are out of print (Kindermusik was published by Peters, the Suite op2 by the Mitteldeutscher Verlag). Concerning to the KVK there are only few copies in libraries in the former GDR part of Germany - sadly the ones I checked were for inhouse use only. But if I remember right our dear alfor has some connections to Weimar, where there should be copies of the pieces in the music conservatory.

ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

klavierelch wrote:
ilu wrote:I am looking for Günter Kochan's "Kindermusik – Neun kleine Stücke für Klavier (1960) " and the Suite for Piano.

Ilu.
Ilu, both works are out of print (Kindermusik was published by Peters, the Suite op2 by the Mitteldeutscher Verlag). Concerning to the KVK there are only few copies in libraries in the former GDR part of Germany - sadly the ones I checked were for inhouse use only. But if I remember right our dear alfor has some connections to Weimar, where there should be copies of the pieces in the music conservatory.
Klacierelch:

Thank you for your reponse. These scores are indeed very difficult to get. I will ask to Alfor if he can move some strings in Weimar.

Ilu
Quo melius Illac
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

ilu wrote:These scores are indeed very difficult to get. I will ask to Alfor if he can move some strings in Weimar.
Not that difficult!! I will borrow them within this month! What about his op. 7: Präludien, Intermezzi und Fugen, his "5 Klavierstücke" (1971), piano sonata (1981), PC op. 16?

Difficult to get (?):
Arthur Willner: Piano Sonatas
Rudolph Reti: Terassen; Träume, Liebe...
Hinze-Reinhold: 10 Klavierstücke nach Liedern von Hugo Wolf
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Alfor:

Thank you so much for your interest!, all Kochan should be very intetresting, some are very difficult to play ( at least for me)-

What about a new thread for: "Scores hard to get"

Klavierwerke [Bearbeiten]
Suite für Klavier op. 2 (1952)
Präludien, Intermezzi und Fugen für Klavier zu zwei Händen op. 7 (1954)
Elf kleine Stücke für Klavier zu vier Händen op. 20 (1958)
Kindermusik – Neun kleine Stücke für Klavier (1960)
Fünf Klavierstücke (1971)
Sieben leichte Klavierstücke (1971)
Klaviersonate (1981)
Bagatellen und Interludien für Klavier (1989)
Klavierquintett (1992/93)

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Where have you been searching??? The majority of Kochan's music is still available (prices are quite reasonable!):

http://www.musikhaus-dassler.de/suche.h ... ier&page=1
https://www.edition-peters.de/cms/front ... ctComposer
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Alfor:
Gracias!

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
klavierelch
Site Admin

Post by klavierelch »

Of course I know that Kurt Schwaen (1909-2007) died quite recently. But since his little "Suite in H" is OOP and no more available from Peters (as so many pieces by GDR composers), I think it is ok to post this piece as an example of his style, which quite often used neoclassical/neobaroque elements.
Schwaen Suite in H.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.