kroket
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Etudes

Post by kroket »

Bargiel Etude.pdf
Etude by Woldemar Bargiel from Lebert & Stark methode
This etude in sixths is from the Dutch version of the Lebert & Stark Klavierschule,
and is not contained in the German version of that album that is to be found on IMSLP.
(Like the Kirchner etude I posted a month ago in the German composers thread.)
Greetings,
kroket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you, Kroket. This nice etude in 6ths actually let's the left hand have a go at this interval for a bit after giving the right hand quite a workout. Seems like most etudes of this type feature just one hand.
kroket
Pianophiliac

Post by kroket »

Mayer, Ch. Etude Op 61 no. 3 (arr. H. Trnecek).pdf
Charles Mayer Etude Op. 61 no. 3 arr. Hans Trnecek
This version of this etude has a variant reading for the left hand.
Normally in this etude the left hand plays hoom-pah-pah.
But Trnecek gives arpeggios for the left hand also.
Greetings,
kroket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Nice to have both versions in one score like this. Really have to watch what you're doing with different arpeggios in each hand.
Thanks kroket
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Re: Etudes

Post by 4candles »

4candles wrote:
4candles wrote:For posterity, and in case anyone is interested, I have discovered from contacting the French National Library that all studies from 'Les Pathétiques' by Émile Forgues were indeed published, but Flaxland never sent duty copies of the collective work to the Library. Here are what I believe are the names of the individual studies (including opus numbers) that made up the set, one of which we have seen in PP:

"In Durand-Schoenewerk's catalogues of 1872 (p. 23) and 1875 (p. 26), the following works are listed (prices in brackets):
- Les pathétiques [... both books [were] available separately or together... each étude [was] also available separately]
- op. 10, Les flots (7,50)
- op. 11, Romance dramatique (5)
- op. 12, Le départ (7,50)
- op. 13, Canzonetta (6)
- op. 14, Marche funèbre (7,50)
- op. 15, Scherzo en sixtes (6)
- op. 16, Improvisata (5)
- op. 17, Le mouvement perpétuel (10)
- op. 18, Méditation (5) [obviously the same as "Mélancolie"]
- op. 19, La sérénade (7,50)
- op. 20, Ballade (5)
- op. 21, Le trémolo (7,50)"
It gives me great pleasure to say I have tracked down this set of piano studies, after years of searching, thanks to the USA's National Union Catalog of Pre-1956 Imprints. I have been instructed not to share the PDF sent to me, but if anyone is interested, a copy of the full score can be obtained from the Research Division of New York Public Library, under the call number *MYD / Forgues, Emile, 1823 / [Les Pathetiques] / Les Pathetiques: 12 Grandes etudes de concert.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Here is an unusual find I came across while browsing a really old album in my collection

Any help w a composer bio or other works is appreciated as basic consultation w Dr. Google yielded little on this end.

Otto Merz' concert etude "The Surf".
I dont know that anyone has even recorded, seems forgotten.
I should probably scan the the rest of them some day, it's two books of this stuff from and a bunch I have not seen outside of these old vintage various pieces collections i got at an estate sale (i believe? I dont even remember these days haha ).

Did best i could as its a very large/oversized score and pages are quite old/yellowed, the old book has seen better days that is for sure
Otto Merz - Le Ressac -The Surf- Etude de Concert.pdf
Last edited by Scriabinoff on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Many thanks Jim. I may see about transcribing the entry and adding it as a text bio for future reference on the board for others in the future
And at least we have an easy to work w file of the work. I will start working on getting as many of the others as i canscanned up and post as i there are likely other examples worth posting among my collection
Thanks again
8-)
Maestro75

Post by Maestro75 »

Hi

Forgues Mouvement perpetuel posted earlier in this thread is missing pages 12-13...can anyone post the missing pages?

Thanks for all the scores.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Maestro75 wrote:Hi

Forgues Mouvement perpetuel posted earlier in this thread is missing pages 12-13...can anyone post the missing pages?

Thanks for all the scores.
Maestro75 - I'm embarrassed and humbled by the fact that I had not noticed this omission before - the fact that I am only an out-of-practice amateur pianist notwithstanding. And unfortunately I don't have the missing pages.

Thankfully, though, this extract from the 12 studies is much easier to find in the world's libraries than the full set of etudes. According to Worldcat, copies can be obtained from the National Library in France as well as Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh and the University of Miami Library.
Hope this helps, and thanks for bringing this discrepancy to our attention!

4c