Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Caprotti
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Etudes

Post by Caprotti »

soh choon wee wrote:Dear ALL
am i the only one in this thread who never had the privilege to see the scores of Mereaux etudes ???
Is it still under copyright ???
Could someone please post it ?? THANK YOU very much.
soh
see for instance
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:M%C3%A9r ... Lefroid_de
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

Thanks Walter Cosand and Caprotti for Mereaux etudes.
soh
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

soh choon wee wrote:Thanks Walter Cosand and Caprotti for Mereaux etudes.
soh
I'll echo those sentiments. Thanks indeed to Walter Cosand & Caprotti. I'd only vaguely heard of those Mereaux edudes now I can at least take a peek if not learn some of the horrendously difficult studies. And I thought I had a full plate with Alkan.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

4candles wrote:
4candles wrote:
Caprotti wrote:Well I hope you send me a copy (in pdf !!!!) of the future Thesis.
Indeed the studies are very difficult, but their level of difficulty is not related to an equal artistic content, as in the case e.g. of Alkan op.39.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5wdrtg

(just uploaded at IMSLP)

PS - I agree. Even upon looking, without even playing, some of these pieces, it is clear that the 'artistic' content as you call it, is pretty flat by anyone's standards. I am interested more from an 'extension of technique' viewpoint and I would probably compare these works with the advances made by Rejcha and Alkan. They all probably knew each other.
I must comment on the stunningly articulate observations made here on these Mereaux studies, as I have often wondered, "Is it worth the effort?"
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

fleubis wrote:I must comment on the stunningly articulate observations made here on these Mereaux studies, as I have often wondered, "Is it worth the effort?"
It may well be worth the effort to show that it wasn't worth the effort. But then again it may turn out that it was worth the effort so the effort to show that it wasn't worth the effort, even though it showed that it was worth the effort, was in fact worth the effort in the first place.

Regards
Fred
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

fredbucket wrote:
fleubis wrote:I must comment on the stunningly articulate observations made here on these Mereaux studies, as I have often wondered, "Is it worth the effort?"
It may well be worth the effort to show that it wasn't worth the effort. But then again it may turn out that it was worth the effort so the effort to show that it wasn't worth the effort, even though it showed that it was worth the effort, was in fact worth the effort in the first place.

Regards
Fred
Ah, Fred, I'm laughing my socks off at this one! Thanks for the rejoinder.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

fredbucket wrote:

Regards
Fred
Yes, minister!
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

kojiattwood wrote:The Mereaux etudes I've heard from Cyprien are absolutely stunning (and exceptionally difficult!)
I have also now heard these 5 studies. I'm not sure that 2 of them should have been included in Katsaris' collection - (the musical substance is pretty watery) - but the artist chooses!

The other three are quite musical actually, reminding me of Chopin, Henselt, even Beethoven, (though certainly not as great from the little I have yet heard). They are definitely to be seen (or heard) as 'études' in the original/traditional sense of the term. One of them in particular is quite spectacular, and very difficult, and had me on the edge of my seat when I first heard it.

I understand the disc, called 'Piano Rarities, Vol 2 - French Composers', is being released in the coming months and includes other curiosities largely of a more modern (tonal and even somewhat minimal) bent, definitely from the byways of piano literature.
addeex

Post by addeex »

4candles wrote:
kojiattwood wrote:The Mereaux etudes I've heard from Cyprien are absolutely stunning (and exceptionally difficult!)
I have also now heard these 5 studies. I'm not sure that 2 of them should have been included in Katsaris' collection - (the musical substance is pretty watery) - but the artist chooses!

The other three are quite musical actually, reminding me of Chopin, Henselt, even Beethoven, (though certainly not as great from the little I have yet heard). They are definitely to be seen (or heard) as 'études' in the original/traditional sense of the term. One of them in particular is quite spectacular, and very difficult, and had me on the edge of my seat when I first heard it.

I understand the disc, called 'Piano Rarities, Vol 2 - French Composers', is being released in the coming months and includes other curiosities largely of a more modern (tonal and even somewhat minimal) bent, definitely from the byways of piano literature.
Which ones of the etudes did you hear 4candles?? I'd be glad if you know and can say which was the musical etudes.
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.

Post by Paddys »

A Mereaux autograph for 1400 euros!

P.