Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Transcriptions from Staged Musicals and Shows

Post by lebowl »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you.
This site is the one owned by Mercuzio who has already shared some of his transcriptions here.
I am afraid to disagree that they are not under some sort of copyright. Even if the transcriber Mercuzio does not care for copyright for himself, I believe that the copyright attached to the original work is still valid and present in the transcription.
On his site Mercuzio says, if remember correctly, the laws of his country do not permit him to post anything on the internet and claim copyright. But I'll certainly leave everything to your judgement.
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Lebowl - thank you for the link.

Jean-Séb is correct that the original work would carry copyright, a transcription may not necessarily be classified as a different arrangement of the original work (although Mercuzio could seek his own copyright on his transcriptions). This is a very sticky area on copyright. As the works are not as such posted on Pianophilia, I am happy to leave the link for the time being and leave it to members personal judgement.

Malcolm
Mercuzio

Post by Mercuzio »

lebowl wrote:
Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you.
This site is the one owned by Mercuzio who has already shared some of his transcriptions here.
I am afraid to disagree that they are not under some sort of copyright. Even if the transcriber Mercuzio does not care for copyright for himself, I believe that the copyright attached to the original work is still valid and present in the transcription.
On his site Mercuzio says, if remember correctly, the laws of his country do not permit him to post anything on the internet and claim copyright. But I'll certainly leave everything to your judgement.
Hello Lebowl, I'm sorry for my bad english.
I don't own the site you linked and, unfortunately, the owner told me that it will be closed on next 11 december.
From that date I will have to upload my PDF on a file sharing site such as Mediafire, Dropbox. I don't think I can do it here where I posted only classic sheet music.

About the copyright laws of my country, it is possible to share copyrighted stuff only for free....that means that if I sell my sheet music I can have legal issues here in Italy. But the laws are not the same all around the world, for this reason on Youtube you can find some transcribers (from USA, Czech republic, ecc.) that sell their transcriptions and arrangements.

Mr. Ballan wrote something about seeking my own copyright for my transcription. I don't know if this is possible in other countries but, here in Italy, you have to ask the permission to the composer and, usually, it is never granted. The only rights I can claim are the performances of my videos and audio files that are managed and sold by a music publisher.
genosen

Post by genosen »

Does anybody have a score for Jakob Gimpel's paraphrase on the Blue Danube Waltz/Emperor Waltz as performed for MGM? I've heard there are some scores floating around.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

genosen wrote:Does anybody have a score for Jakob Gimpel's paraphrase on the Blue Danube Waltz/Emperor Waltz as performed for MGM? I've heard there are some scores floating around.
Interesting article on-line from Gimpel's son - which seems to suggest there is no score of this paraphrase (unless someone has managed to notate from the cartoon).

Jakob Gimpel was a phenomenal improviser, and his arrangement for “Johann Mouse” faithfully reflects his improvisational style. “My father would have improvised freely on the various themes, and then written down his favorite ideas. It would not have taken him more than a couple of hours. I do not believe he composed a full, integrated paraphrase of the ‘Blue Danube,’ but only the pieces that were needed for the film. At least the only score I found is fragmentary. That is a pity, because many pianists have admired the fragments and have written to ask me for the full composition.”

The only work I have ever seen from Gimpel was his Concert Paraphrase on the song 'The Soldiers of the Sea' (which was recorded by Hamelin).

Malcolm
genosen

Post by genosen »

mballan wrote:(unless someone has managed to notate from the cartoon).
I am attempting to write a score myself using the cartoon, but it has proven to be quite difficult due to the narration. A studio recording (if there is one) would be really useful! Here is my messy score for the Blue Danube Arrangement:
Gimpel - Strauss - The Blue Danube Waltz (ed. Putsmeiser).pdf
Gimpel - Strauss - The Blue Danube.mp3
I am in the process of transcribing the rest of the arrangement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

genosen wrote:
mballan wrote:(unless someone has managed to notate from the cartoon).
I am attempting to write a score myself using the cartoon, but it has proven to be quite difficult due to the narration. A studio recording (if there is one) would be really useful! Here is my messy score for the Blue Danube Arrangement:
Gimpel - Strauss - The Blue Danube Waltz (ed. Putsmeiser).pdf
Gimpel - Strauss - The Blue Danube.mp3
I am in the process of transcribing the rest of the arrangement.
Good Job Genosen! Thanks for your post and I have great fun with this transcription.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

anyone have any info on this 'suite' (a medley really) on themes of Disney?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb1pIhXA_J0
can't really find anything worthwhile on the name attriuted to the transcription, is it a published work? Amateur privately held?
di Roberto Grosso
sorta stumped on it. it has it's own little charm but curious to learn more about he piece, it's potential score availability and anything about the transcriber :?
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Could this be the arranger?

http://www.robertogrosso.it
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Jim Faston wrote:Could this be the arranger?

http://www.robertogrosso.it
Thank you Jim, his Senza Meta is so beautiful!