Collecting Carl Czerny

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Alex
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Collecting Carl Czerny

Post by Alex »

I felt the same way as Thalbergmad, when I first tried to sight read random Schumann piano works. For some reason it felt dark and bland. I can't explain why his music felt dark to me, it just did at the time. I thought it was humorless, drab, and not very pianistic. Then, when listening to his violin sonatas and string quartets with the scores, I was getting less and less interested in this composer. It wasn't until hearing his first symphony (and playing through the 2-hand transcription) that I began to get a different feeling from his works. I began to see the lighter, humorous sides more and began to enjoy his music. From there, it just got better as I understood his style more and more, which usually works that way for me. For me, greater familiarity breeds enjoyment in most cases.
As for Schumann's stance against Czerny, I completely understand his contempt for what Czerny stood for, which was to churn out a bunch of crap and making lots of money doing so. It's such a shame that Czerny certainly was capable of writing good music, and he even expressed disappointment in himself that he hadn't really stuck to the example he set with the Op. 7 sonata. Even some of his serious works don't always work as high art though. Honestly, I haven't heard a good piano concerto by him. I believe we have two examples now that have been recorded, one being the 4-hand one, and they are both highly formulaic and have lots of useless scale work. Even in his symphonies, particularly the finales, there is a certain unimaginative repetitiveness that crops up and can overstay its welcome. Fortunately, there are great works such as the Nonet, mentioned by Parag, and several of the piano sonatas (although I hold the first to the highest esteem). The symphonies are also pretty fun to listen to. I can say that I am a Czerny follower/fan, but not an avid lover. Just my thoughts on this oft-neglected composer!

I'm looking forward to listening to his string quartets, second piano trio (of which we have the score available!) and his songs, especially since songs are what have been occupying my time recently with composition.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I don't wish to get dragged into the Schumann debate - :-

I do want to ask, however, whether anyone has Czerny's Op.386 (8 Nocturnes), in readable sheet - I was very surprised at their elegance, (thanks to Isabelle Oehmichen's playing of them).

see:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ZcBxGIXEw

I think there may have been a prior similar enquiry, but it may have been overlooked due to heavy alternative discussions at the time.

Hopefully,
tobyjj
promusician
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,violin,cello

Post by promusician »

tobyjj wrote:Hello All,

I do want to ask, however, whether anyone has Czerny's Op.386 (8 Nocturnes), in readable sheet - I was very surprised at their elegance, (thanks to Isabelle Oehmichen's playing of them).

I think there may have been a prior similar enquiry, but it may have been overlooked due to heavy alternative discussions at the time.

Hopefully,
tobyjj
everyone is finding it bro, no worry
Sharing is caring:)
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

Hopefully,
tobyjj

Easily available in a reprint by Lemoine (see e.g. http://www.di-arezzo.de/Partitur/E-Musi ... 02417.html) so there is no scan floating around at the moment.

All the best

Paul
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Paul,

Thank you for that link.

regards,
tobyjj
tracyross
Instruments played, if any: Piano, electric keyboards, harpsichord, organ, trumpet, flugelhorn, cornet, piccolo trumpet

Post by tracyross »

Here is Czerny's op. 368 no. 8, in case it helps.
Czerny%2C Carl - Op 368 No 8 Nocturne.pdf
-Tracy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Paul wrote:

Hopefully,
tobyjj

Easily available in a reprint by Lemoine (see e.g. http://www.di-arezzo.de/Partitur/E-Musi ... 02417.html) so there is no scan floating around at the moment.

All the best

Paul
I just want to thank you again for the link. I followed up and purchased the book. I'm very happy with it. It is well printed, well laid out and the service from the web-site was smooth and trouble-free. A Thumbs up.

Thanks again.
tobyjj
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Jim Faston wrote:Could someone identify the work from which this piece entitled "Quiet Thoughts" is extracted. PDFed from from LOC scans. Thanks.
Czerny-Elson_Quiet Thoughts.pdf
I was able to answer my own question when I came across this little gem. (NMS) I corrected the page ordering in volume one for convenience. Enjoy.
Czerny_Album élégant des dames pianistes, Op804 vol 1.pdf
Czerny_Album élégant des dames pianistes, Op804 vol 2.pdf
Czerny_Album élégant des dames pianistes, Op804 vol 3.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

I had already seen these gems but I am glad that you recalled them and that you solved the mystery of "Quiet thoughts". Thank you.
Alex
Pianophiliac

Post by Alex »

Thank you for sharing, Jim. Are these pieces named after the (apparently) many female students he had? Or is it just arbitrary...?