Music from the British Isles

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Duirton

Re: Music from the British Isles

Post by Duirton »

liveforpiano wrote:I have a recording of Tellef Johnson performing the Second Piano Sonata of Sorabji on the Altarus label.
At the end of a note about him in the booklet, it is mentioned that he is working on the Third Piano Sonata for recording by Altarus.
The booklet notes were written by Alistair Hinton in 1999.

I have been waiting for this disc to appear, but so far without any luck.
Altarus records might be able to give you information.
I do have a recording of the Third Sonata from a broadcast by Yonty Solomen on Radio 3 many years ago, but following with the score do not find it a truly accurate performance. This is spread over two cassettes. Not an ideal way to have to listen to a work. But all that was available to me at the time.
Best wishes.
Peter (liveforpiano).
Hello Peter,

thanks for the informations, but I refer at the new project begin in 2010.
This project includes the recording of the fifth sonata, third sonata, the second piano symphony and many other piano pieces never executed (but also played like some trascendental etude, Gulistan etc.)
Try to see here: http://www.opusarchimagicum.com/recording.html
One year ago Tellef told me that all has been recorded, but there's not a date of release. Since, I have no other informations.

I will continue to try a contact Tellef Johnson...... If anyone have some news, let me know....

All best.
Duirton
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you Duirton, for the information, and the site.
I have joined this, to be on the mailing list.

Peter.
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Post by ahinton »

I do not know if or when Tellef Johnson's recording of Sorabji's Third Piano Sonata will be released. As to his Opus Archimagicum project, much has been promised but, as those of you who have looked into it already know, little has materialised and expected dates for release of this and that have passed by without further comment or information from the source on the website which has not, I believe, been updated for some time. Opus Archimagicum - the title of the last and by far the largest of Sorabji's six piano sonatas (one unnumbered, the others numbered 1-5) is a work of colossal power but at the same time quite terrifying complexity and difficulty; it was composed in the early 1930s and, unlike all Sorabji's previous five piano sonatas, it has yet to receive a public performance. One good thing coincidentally to have emerged from the avowed intentions towards it in recent times has been a most magnificent typset edition of the score by Alexander Abercrombie which, like all of the composer's scores, we supply direct from The Sorabji Archive (see http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk); its existence has at least made performance a possibility, however remote, but I can think of very few pianists capable of rising to its immense challenges of dexterity and mental and physical stamina, especially given that its total duration must be well in excess of 6 hours. I have no more news on Mr Johnson's project than has anyone else here and have heard nothing about it in a long time. It's really up to Mr Johnson himself to provide information as to his intentions and expectations for the future realisation of his project.

Best,

Alistair
Duirton

Post by Duirton »

ahinton wrote:I do not know if or when Tellef Johnson's recording of Sorabji's Third Piano Sonata will be released. As to his Opus Archimagicum project, much has been promised but, as those of you who have looked into it already know, little has materialised and expected dates for release of this and that have passed by without further comment or information from the source on the website which has not, I believe, been updated for some time. Opus Archimagicum - the title of the last and by far the largest of Sorabji's six piano sonatas (one unnumbered, the others numbered 1-5) is a work of colossal power but at the same time quite terrifying complexity and difficulty; it was composed in the early 1930s and, unlike all Sorabji's previous fivie piano sonatas, it has yet to receive a public performance. One good thing coincidentally to have emerged from the avowed intentions towards it in recent times has been a most magnificent typset edition of the score by Alexander Abercrombie which, like all of the composer's scores, we supply direct from The Sorabji Archive (see http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk); its existence has at least made performance a possibility, however remote, but I can think of very few pianists capable of rising to its immense challenges of dexterity and mental and physical stamina, especially given that its total duration must be well in excess of 6 hours. I have no more news on Mr Johnson's project than has anyone else here and have heard nothing about it in a long time. It's really up to Mr Johnson himself to provide information as to his intentions and expectations for the future realisation of his project.

Best,

Alistair

Dear Alistair,

I know that also the spanish pianist Artur Pizarro had in mind the project of realization of the fifth sonata. But still now day, there aren't no news in about...
I will be forever grateful at A. Abercrombie for the his resounding edition of the fifth sonata; was much time that I wait this edition (in the meantime, I had tried to create an my edition; I'm succeed to do only the second moviment and part of the third, of the first part. Extreme difficult to transcribe!).

If the fifth sonata has been never not execute, I think that much depends from the personal musical tastes. At many people don't interest or don't like the Sorabji music. I for example, I've much pleasure to study this sonata (if I would had some possibility of can study seriously...).

I'd think at the MIDI files from the edition for listen this sonata, but A. Abercrombie said that he hasn't.....

For the moment, all is in the hands of Tellef Johnson...

At soon.
Duirton
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

Duirton wrote:
ahinton wrote:I do not know if or when Tellef Johnson's recording of Sorabji's Third Piano Sonata will be released. As to his Opus Archimagicum project, much has been promised but, as those of you who have looked into it already know, little has materialised and expected dates for release of this and that have passed by without further comment or information from the source on the website which has not, I believe, been updated for some time. Opus Archimagicum - the title of the last and by far the largest of Sorabji's six piano sonatas (one unnumbered, the others numbered 1-5) is a work of colossal power but at the same time quite terrifying complexity and difficulty; it was composed in the early 1930s and, unlike all Sorabji's previous fivie piano sonatas, it has yet to receive a public performance. One good thing coincidentally to have emerged from the avowed intentions towards it in recent times has been a most magnificent typset edition of the score by Alexander Abercrombie which, like all of the composer's scores, we supply direct from The Sorabji Archive (see http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk); its existence has at least made performance a possibility, however remote, but I can think of very few pianists capable of rising to its immense challenges of dexterity and mental and physical stamina, especially given that its total duration must be well in excess of 6 hours. I have no more news on Mr Johnson's project than has anyone else here and have heard nothing about it in a long time. It's really up to Mr Johnson himself to provide information as to his intentions and expectations for the future realisation of his project.

Best,

Alistair

Dear Alistair,

I know that also the spanish pianist Artur Pizarro had in mind the project of realization of the fifth sonata. But still now day, there aren't no news in about...
No, it was not Artur Pizzaro who in any case is not Spanish but Portuguese) but the Brazilian pianist Artur Cimirro; he requested a copy of the ms. of the work's first movement from us but, as we had not seen any editing work from him after about one year and Alexander Abercrombie approached us to make an edition himself, we agreed that he do it and he completed it in less than a year, which is remarkable given that his edition occupies 434 pages of landscape format A3!
Duirton wrote:I will be forever grateful at A. Abercrombie for the his resounding edition of the fifth sonata; was much time that I wait this edition (in the meantime, I had tried to create an my edition; I'm succeed to do only the second moviment and part of the third, of the first part. Extreme difficult to transcribe!).
Mr Abercrombie's edition has been available for more than two years now! Do you have a copy? and, if so, did you acquire it only after having begun your own edition? We do not know your identity (or at least not from our forum ID here!), nor did we know that you had made a start on editing this work. If you wish, do please write to me at sorabji-archive@lineone.net and tell me more!
Duirton wrote:If the fifth sonata has been never not execute, I think that much depends from the personal musical tastes. At many people don't interest or don't like the Sorabji music. I for example, I've much pleasure to study this sonata (if I would had some possibility of can study seriously...).
As I mentioned, it's a very difficult piece to prepare and would require considerable time even for the most gifted of pianists; this is the reason why it's not yet been played since Mr Abercrombie's edition was completed.

Best,

Alistair
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

ahinton wrote: I can think of very few pianists capable of rising to its immense challenges of dexterity and mental and physical stamina, especially given that its total duration must be well in excess of 6 hours.
I can think of very few listeners that could rise to its immense challenges either. Personally I would have to do it in shifts.

Given the amount of work that has already been done, it would be a shame if it remained unrecorded. I for one would buy it.

Thal
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

thalbergmad wrote:
ahinton wrote: I can think of very few pianists capable of rising to its immense challenges of dexterity and mental and physical stamina, especially given that its total duration must be well in excess of 6 hours.
I can think of very few listeners that could rise to its immense challenges either. Personally I would have to do it in shifts.

Given the amount of work that has already been done, it would be a shame if it remained unrecorded. I for one would buy it.

Thal
Don't worry; it'll be recorded eventually. I just cannot tell you or anyone else right now when or by whom. Most glad to know in advance that you'd buy it when it finally materialises, though!

Best,

Alistair
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Timtim:

Do you have some other scores of James Ching?, according with some friend information, Ching was a piano teacher, any additional info will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

James Ching (1900-1961or2) was an English concert pianist, teacher and author of books on piano
technique e.g. Piano Technique: Foundation Principles, and The Playing and Teaching of Bach, plus
composer of instructive sets of piano pieces e.g. Apple Blossom, Over the Hills, Tanglewood Tales,
and Through the Ages. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these (only The Scarecrow), otherwise I'd
happily scan them for you. Forsyth Brothers was his main publisher, and I saw some of the above
publications for sale (second-hand) on the internet recently, but avoided the temptation to buy.
For a time he and his family lived in Leicester - my home town, and centre of the universe!
For much more biographical information about him information please check this website:-
http://www.jamesching.co.uk/html/james_ching.html
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Muchas gracias!

ILU.
Quo melius Illac