Music from the British Isles

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: William Vincent Wallace

Post by bingo »

porilo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 pm Hi! Not sure whether this is the correct forum to post this, but I wondered whether anyone might have William Vincent Wallaces transcription of "Va Pensiero" from Verdi's Nabucco, to share please? I heard it on radio this morning and it's a fantastic piece. Thanks.
I have had this years, but no memory of where I collected it from. NMS (Edit: it's in the National Library of Australia, with a lot of other WVWiana https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-2881042353/v ... 2881042676)
VERDI Nabucco - Va pensiero (Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves) [Wallace].pdf
https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7499612
marked "Lento ma un poco agitato" . Words to live by :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitterdorfer
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, chorister.

Re: Music from the British Isles

Post by dmitterdorfer »

Hi Everyone,
You might be interested to know of three new first editions that I and my co-editor have published. Harold Darke, now mostly known for his setting of In the bleak midwinter, was a lecturer at the RCM for decades, as well as Organist of St Michael's, Cornhill in London. Products of his student days, these three sets of piano works display all the hallmarks of a composer well on his way to become a master of the craft, displaying a heavy romantic influence in the Three Concert Studies Op. 7. The Characteristic Pieces and Fancies are couched more in the early 20th century British style of Dyson, et al. The works have been edited from manuscripts held in the collection of the Royal College of Music, with the permission of his descendants.

Sample pages are available on Crescendo Music Publications' website - https://www.crescendomusicpubs.com.au/items.php

kind regards,
Daniel
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

liveforpiano wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm Adam (von Ahn) Carse (May 19, 1878 - 1958) was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. He was educated in Hanover and was a Macfarren scholar at the Royal Academy of Music, London where he studied composition with Frederick Corder.

Duly posted, his Variations in D Major.
Carse A. Variations in D Major.pdf
Peter.
does anyone have Carse's Independence Studies Book II?
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

I got the hump seeing Kammell's dates incorrectly given as 1740-88 in this English edition! They were in fact 1730-84. Almost everything he composed seemed to be in sets of six.
Kammell - Veaudeville ed. Craxton & Moffat.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Timtin wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:39 pm I got the hump seeing Kammell's dates incorrectly given as 1740-88 in this English edition! They were in fact 1730-84. Almost everything he composed seemed to be in sets of six.
Kammell - Veaudeville ed. Craxton & Moffat.pdf
Not uncommon at the time, of course. JS Bach's Partitas, English and French Suites, CPE Bach's Prussian sonatas to name but a few.

Kammell was by all accounts a very successful composer - he was of course Bohemian but settled in England. It would be good to get an unedited or original publication of these scores. This edition is well meaning but very much overedited and how much has been changed by the editors we don't know.

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

fredbucket wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:27 am Not uncommon at the time, of course. JS Bach's Partitas, English and French Suites, CPE Bach's Prussian sonatas to name but a few.

Kammell was by all accounts a very successful composer - he was of course Bohemian but settled in England. It would be good to get an unedited or original publication of these scores. This edition is well meaning but very much overedited and how much has been changed by the editors we don't know.

Regards
Fred
Recently, I acquired an modern album of easy Mozart pieces for children to play (glossy cover, of course), and several of the headings for the works carried incorrect K numbers. So I gave it away to a charity shop, having 'edited' the duff information with pencilled-in corrections.
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

Attached you find a scan from the Bavarian State library available at IMSLP reworked in bw. Could be a piano reduction or a work originally written for piano.

Best regards
Paul
Kammell op.17 6 Divertimentos.pdf
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Paul wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:09 amAttached you find a scan from the Bavarian State library available at IMSLP reworked in bw. Could be a piano reduction or a work originally written for piano.
Thanks for that. Probably originally written for the piano, judging by the style. Also looks to have been written for amateurs and students.

Regards
Fred
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

The writing on the front cover is so ornated that most people read Antonio Shammell and not Kammell. Even some librarians !
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothe ... GITMWZVWM6
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

Jean-Séb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:14 am The writing on the front cover is so ornated that most people read Antonio Shammell and not Kammell. Even some librarians !
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothe ... GITMWZVWM6
Yes. One suspects dyslexia was the order of the day...from Grove:

Kammel [Kamel, Kammell, Kamml, Khaml, Cammell], Antonín
(b Běleč, bap. 21 April 1730; d ?London, 5 Oct 1784). Bohemian violinist and composer.

Redargs
Ferd