Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Post by Jean-Séb »

Pianoman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am "To my distinguished friend and disciple, the Saint ? José de Castro.
I read o Sñr : o Señor
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

Another curious piece.
A small Waltz, transcribed for piano by Freitas Gazul (see previous post) entitled "The last composition of the departed Maestro Guilherme Cossoul"
Notice the cover of this piece, a statue with the inscription: "To Cossoul, from the Firemen".

Guilherme Cossoul (1828-1880) was a portuguese cellist and composer, son of a violinist and a pianist.
He was also the founder of the 1st "Companhia dos Bombeiros Voluntários" (something like a Fire department) in 1868 with the moto "Humanitas, vita nostra tua est". He was appointed Captain of that company and, so, he is remembered as the first portuguese fireman

In 1861 became a cello teacher at the "Conservatório Nacional" (Lisbon) and also his Director a couple of years later.
He also played at the "Real Câmara" and São Carlos' Orchestra and composed 37 musical pieces.

Cossoul, Guilherme - Última composição (alt) (pf).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

Jean-Séb wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:04 am
Pianoman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am "To my distinguished friend and disciple, the Saint ? José de Castro.
I read o Sñr : o Señor
Maybe you're right!

I still think it's "São" (Saint), hence the "?" after it.
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

Some more Napoleão (double)!

the Ouverture from "Remorso Vivo" by Arthur Napoleão, transcribed for piano by his brother Alfredo Napoleão:
Napoleão, Arthur-Napoleão, Alfredo - O Remorso Vivo (Ouvertura) (alt) (pf).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

Alfredo Keil - "Printemps" for piano
Keil, Alfredo - Printemps (alt) (pf).pdf
Alfredo Keil - "Si Je Pouvais" for piano
Keil, Alfredo - Si Je Pouvais (pf).pdf

From Wikipedia:
Alfredo Cristiano Keil (3 July 1850 – 4 October 1907) was a Portuguese romantic composer and painter.

Keil was born in Lisbon, the son of Johann Christian Keil and wife Maria Josefina Stellflug. He was of German origin, and was the great Portuguese romantic composer. He was also considered the last important Portuguese painter in the Romantic style. He studied in Munich and Nuremberg with the German romantic painters Kaulbach and von Kreling. Returning to Portugal, where he continued his studies, he became a well known romantic painter, being also the contemporary of the Naturalist generation, with his melancholic intimate scenes and landscapes.

As a composer, he gained prominence with his operas "Donna Bianca" (1888), "Irene" (1893) and "Serrana" (1899), then considered the best Portuguese opera.

He composed the music of "A Portuguesa", the Portuguese national anthem, in 1891, with lyrics by poet and playwright Henrique Lopes de Mendonça; it was officially adopted in 1911, after the proclamation of the Republic the previous year. Ironically, he died, in Hamburg, almost exactly three years before the first day of the Revolution.
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

Hi all,

Another work from a composer that I know very little of, only the dates (fl.) 1898-1914. Hopefully it's portuguese...(I'm almost sure it is).

Rodrigo da Fonseca - 5 pièces de piano
Fonseca, Rodrigo da - Pieces (5) (pf).pdf
- Romance No.4, Op.40
- Margarida, Valse, Op.60
- Berceuse, Op.49
- Valse No.5, Op.33
- Après le "Fandango", Op.39

This score belongs to the private collection of Maestro Ivo Cruz and has also an inscription that says: "To the illustrious Maestro Sr. Augusto (Augusto Machado, probably) as a proof of high consideration. Offer from the author"
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here's a fun piece - Euskal festara by José María Usandizaga. Not brilliant quality but readable.
Usandizaga_Euskal festara.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51f6hfl3n0
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by Hobbypianist »

Thanks.

More scores by José María Usandizaga (1887 - 1915)
https://www.usandizaga.com/es/usandizaga/ (scroll down)
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by Hobbypianist »

if not yet known, here you can find scores as well (few printed, many manuscripts)
https://www.eresbil.eus/web/usandizaga/ ... acion.aspx (click on "Catálogo de obras")

I've tried to make grey / bw versions of some printed editions:
Canto popular vasco
Euskal festara
Impromptu
Jota (alternate version)
Los reyes magos
Scherzo in f
Valse in As
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Hello everyone!
I would like to ask you if someone has some sheet music by Manuel Blancafort because recently I came across some Naxos records of his piano works and they really touched me!

Many thanks in advance!