Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Richard0428

Re: Spanish Piano Music

Post by Richard0428 »

Thanks Ilu for the interesting Sadana info and the list of composers. I couldn't help but notice one of my favorite pieces of Spanish Music, Granados' rather impressive-sounding Spanish Dance no 8 (the one with the effective, constantly alternatintg C and B flat chordal plan) is missing from the list. A marvellous short piece, yet for some reason one of the less well-known pieces from the set.

Cheers

Richard
alegitor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by alegitor »

Richard0428 wrote:Thanks Ilu for the interesting Sadana info and the list of composers. I couldn't help but notice one of my favorite pieces of Spanish Music, Granados' rather impressive-sounding Spanish Dance no 8 (the one with the effective, constantly alternatintg C and B flat chordal plan) is missing from the list. A marvellous short piece, yet for some reason one of the less well-known pieces from the set.

Cheers

Richard
08 Pista 8.wma
Recording of the piece mentioned by Richard.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Does anyone have Aguafuertes "Cinco Piezas Para Piano, Formando <Suite>" by Joaquin Zamacois? If not, I will scan it and share with PP friends here.
Best
Koon
Igod82

Post by Igod82 »

Never heard of it who is?
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by quercus »

Hmm, is this thread strictly for Spain? Not sure where else to ask about Portugal, so let me know if this post belongs somewhere else.

Apparently Portuguese composer Antonio Fragoso (1897-1918) wrote at least 20 pieces for piano solo. The best list I've found is from the Portuguese Music Information Center:
http://www.mic.pt/cimcp/dispatcher?wher ... 15&lang=EN

A good biographical sketch can be found here:
http://portuguesemusicandmusicians.blog ... agoso.html

I found Petite Suite (Preludio, Berceuse, Dance) and the 7 Preludes at IMSLP. Both are hauntingly beautiful.
http://imslp.org/index.php?title=Specia ... ch=fragoso

Can anyone contribute any others?

Thanks
Bill
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

Quercus, I like this music - have never heard of Fragoso before. Thanks for recommending.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

Was looking up info on Fragoso: poor guy died at 21 from the Spanish influenza:

http://www.classical-composers.org/comp ... /vsm#sheet

So far I can't find any other online sources for his music other than the Preludes and Petite Suite listed on IMSLP. Some of his other works are performed on Youtube, however.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

passthesalt wrote:Was looking up info on Fragoso: poor guy died at 21 from the Spanish influenza...
Not very patriotic of him! Shouldn't he have died from the Portuguese flu?

(Sorry, couldn't resist that!)
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

António Fragoso was born in 1897 in Pocariça, in the municipality of Cantanhede. He started his musical studies privately with his uncle António dos Santos Tovin and later carried them on also privately with the doctor Ernesto Maia.

Once in Lisbon he enrolled in the National Conservatory and in 1918 did his piano final exam scoring the maximum grade.

His work includes mostly chamber music for voice and piano -Toadas da Minha Aldeia (Village Tunes), Canções do Sol Poente (Sunset Songs) and Poèmes Saturniens - and one orchestra piece entitled Nocturno (Nocturne).

In 1918 António Fragoso died in his hometown with pneumonic flu. He was only twenty one years old.

The list of his compositions can be seen at:

http://www.mic.pt/ingl/presentation.html

...And his picture:

Extraordinary composer that deserves to be known, let us try to get and upload his works.
ILU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Spaniard Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga went one better than this, dying from his lung complaint aged only 19 in 1826.