Re: French Piano Music

Post by WCosand »

Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Jean-Séb »

WCosand wrote:Who is Charles Godard? I found a piece by him on Sibley as well.
Nothing to do with Benjamin Godard. On IMPSL as well as on the following page by a member from here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfOuyQG5ZU
it is said that Charles Godard was one of the aliases of François or Franz Behr, along with William Cooper, Francesco d'Orso, Charles Morley, Hans von Aachen, George Bachmann, and Edwin Smith.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Behr
In that case, it should go to German piano music or Parlour music.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

The included piece is by Joseffy, not Charles Godard.
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Interesting Jean-Seb, thanks.

But actually I uploaded it here without noticing that it was Charles, not Benjamin :-)

Riodk
arneros
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: No

Post by arneros »

Godard op. 55, Guitarella is incomplete...
Thank you.
Rosario
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

So it is ! I will check and fix.

Riodk
giwro
Instruments played, if any: Organ, Piano

Post by giwro »

HTIEKFR
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: PIANO

Post by HTIEKFR »

I found this very short score by Henry Février.
HENRY FEVRIER - IMPROMPTU.pdf
Never heard of the composer before- Very few informations on wikipedia
Is this the beginning of the score only ??? or is it complete ?

Mod edit: I have changed the filename after my post below. FB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

giwro wrote:Recordings of 4 Roger-Ducasse preludes:

Roger-Ducasse Prelude 1
Roger-Ducasse Prelude 2
Roger-Ducasse Prelude 3
Roger-Ducasse Prelude 4

Enjoy,

- G
Lovely pieces (I'd love to hear the other two!)

Thanks for posting (are they your performances?)
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HTIEKFR wrote:I found this very short score by Henry Février
From Grove:

Février, Henry

(b Paris, 2 Oct 1875; d Paris, 8 July 1957). French composer. He studied composition at the Paris Conservatoire with Massenet and Fauré and privately with Messager, of whom he later wrote a biography (André Messager: mon maître, mon ami, 1948). His early compositions were small-scale, but he later turned almost exclusively to opera composition. Many of the operas (e.g. Le roi aveugle, 1906; L’île désenchantée, 1925) are set in remote, other-worldly locations, and the redemption of mankind through love is a constant theme, manifest most noticeably in La damnation de Blanchefleur (1920). He is probably best known for Monna Vanna (1909), a setting of a play by Maeterlinck, for whose work he had a particular affection. Lucien Fugère played a leading role in Carmosine (1913), and Gismonda (1919, Chicago) opened with Mary Garden in the title role.

In his musical dramas, Février favoured a continuous dramatic flow, uninterrupted by clearly defined arias and choruses. The love duet between the main characters is, however, an exception and in works such as Le roi aveugle takes up what appears to be a disproportionate amount of music. His use of such ‘set pieces’, plus a limited use of leitmotif, and the nature of his plots exhibit the influence of Wagner to a high degree, although his contemporaries saw in Monna Vanna the influence of Massenet and Italian verismo. Besides opera, he also left sonatas for violin and piano and cello and piano which attracted some attention in their time. His songs reflect his development as a composer: from the conventional early pieces, they gradually absorb the various musical languages of the 20th century, including a surface orientalism. He had considerable success with patriotic songs written during and just after World War I. During the late 1920s he was active as a composer of music for silent films, mostly scored for orchestra or theatre orchestra with piano-conductor. The later music, such as the Estampes japonaises for piano, is skilfully written, with a melodic strength and simplicity and an occasional leaning towards pastiche.

Chbr and solo inst: Sonata, vn, pf (1901); Pièces mélodiques, vc, pf (1904); Int, hp, 1905, arr. pf (1907); Petite suite d’Antan, pf (1905), orchd 1909; Pf Trio (1907); Allemande, pf (1908); Cortège nuptiale, pf/org (1909); Légende, vn, pf (1909); 3 esquisses, pf (1910); Guirlandes, pf (1913); Stella (Prélude), pf (1913); L’heure sentimentale, pf (1914); La bonne journée, pf (1920); La fée des songes, solo vn, str, perc, pf (c1924); Bourée, pf, 1926; Un bruit de rames, pf (1926); La fleur merveilleuse, pf (1926); Frivolités, pf (1926); Remember, pf (1926); Sur le lac sacré, pf (1926); Impromptu, pf (1927); Sonata, vc, pf (1928); Estampes japonaises (ballet), pf (1938)

Regards
Fred