French Piano Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: French Piano Music

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:Albert Alain (1880-1971) who besides being a composer was also an amateur organ builder. He is the father of famous organist Marie-Claire Alain (whom I've heard in person several times) and composer Jehan Alain (whose famous piece "Litanies" we all know & love--and has written some Satie-like piano music).

Here we have Albert with some charming salon pieces. It is interesting to see a Frenchman's take on Spanish music in his Espagnolerie.

Very nice, Alfred.
Thank you for feedback and Alain info! Marie-Claire indeed was one of the best-known organists of the 20th century and she made quite a bunch of recordings.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

fleubis wrote:It is interesting to see a Frenchman's take on Spanish music in his Espagnolerie.
At that period, the Spanish style was much in favour, of course in Salon music as here, but also in serious music as by Collet or Laparra, who wrote "authentic" Spanish music despite being not Spaniards. Let us not forget Debussy or Ravel very much inspired by Spain. Lots of Spanish musicians have settled in Paris for a while, as Albeniz and Falla.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Isidor Philip (1863-1958). From what I can see, this work appears to be missing from the six listed on IMSLP, and I do not think it has been posted previously on PP.

More original works by Philipp tomorrow.

Malcolm

Etude de Concert No. 2 [after Chopin's Op 10]
Philipp I - Etude de Concert No. 2 (after Chopin).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Thank you for a challenging piece of „fingerfood“!

alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

One more Albert...
BERTELIN

Full-blooded romantic music; pianistically effective!

nms (alfor-edited)

Bertelin Ballade.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

alfor wrote:One more Albert...
BERTELIN

Full-blooded romantic music; pianistically effective!

nms (alfor-edited)

Bertelin Ballade.pdf

Wow, what a piece ! :D
Thank you, Alfor!!
Best regards, Ferruccio
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Seconded! (And I do mean SECONDED!)

This is an amazing and substantial piece and I'm totally impressed by the whole. Alfred, you have uncovered yet another hidden masterpiece.

I note that Bertelin has also written a Nocturne and Barcarolle as the other members of the Trois Pieces--let's all keep an eye out for them as Bertelin writes in a vein most of like very much.

Another spectacular find, Alfred.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Dear Ferruccio, dear fleubis,

you are welcome!

Here are the two other pieces (more
Bertelin to follow):

nms, alfor-edited (they have been gracious to us: the scans are fairly well readable!!!)

Bertelin Nocturne.pdf
Bertelin Barcarolle.pdf

fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Delighted that you found the other two parts to Bertelin's trio of pieces. These pieces are just lucious! Extremely well written, effective with interesting late Romantic harmonies. It's hard to ask for more. It takes a really good piece to keep me interested at tempo Largo, but this nocturne is tempo Largo and gets more and more interesting as it progresses -- truly delightful. I note that Bertelin seems to write chords for people with impossibly large left hand :D (lazy notation perhaps) but no matter--his intentions are clear and he covers a lot of the keyboard in the left hand in this way.

I say again: Bertelin is a major find. It's going to be hard to drag myself away from the keyboard tonite--at least I'll know where my glasses are in the morning.

Outstanding, Alfred.
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

fleubis wrote:Delighted that you found the other two parts to Bertelin's trio of pieces. These pieces are just lucious! Extremely well written, effective with interesting late Romantic harmonies. It's hard to ask for more. It takes a really good piece to keep me interested at tempo Largo, but this nocturne is tempo Largo and gets more and more interesting as it progresses -- truly delightful. I note that Bertelin seems to write chords for people with impossibly large left hand :D (lazy notation perhaps) but no matter--his intentions are clear and he covers a lot of the keyboard in the left hand in this way.

I say again: Bertelin is a major find. It's going to be hard to drag myself away from the keyboard tonite--at least I'll know where my glasses are in the morning.

Outstanding, Alfred.

Seconded !!
Best regards, Ferruccio