French Piano Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
dmitterdorfer
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, chorister.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: French Piano Music

Post by dmitterdorfer »

In my opinion, his Suite Op. 58 is probably his best solo piano work, followed by the Cinq pièces Op. 71 (Dr Fabrikant and I have produced new editions of both, but the original print of the Op. 71 pieces are on IMSLP http://imslp.org/wiki/Valses,_Op.71_(Wi ... les-Marie) ) Dr Fabrikant has recorded a good 2/3 of the solo piano works, however I'm not sure if they are still available; see http://users.adam.com.au/ttruman/cd-hf-all.html and look for Volume 11, consisting of 11 discs with the Widor works scattered amongst other rarities. The Suite has been beautifully recorded by Irmtraut Friedrich here http://www.edition-lade.com/b__cds/b__c ... mm.htm#031

Now to non-piano Widor, now having completed our edition of the piano works, Dr Fabrikant and I have moved on to producing new editions of his orchestral works. UK label Dutton are hopefully including some of these on their next recording with the RSNO under Martin Yates.
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Isador Philipp (1863-1958)

I have already posted recently a few works by Philipp - and my dear friend Sir P found these and kindly scanned them for us. Hopefully more Philipp to come shortly. I have also now added my Works Index for Philipp in the Information & Literature thread (but alas lots of gaps in knowledge).

Malcolm & Peter

Op 102 Trois Pieces de Concert
Philipp I - Op 102 Trois Pieces de Concert [mhb-pc].pdf
WoO Six Pieces Fantaisistes (1929)
Philipp I - WoO Six Pieces Fantaisistes [mhb-pc].pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Isador Philipp (1863-1958)

Some more Philipp, from the scanner of my dear friend Sir P.

Enjoy !

Malcolm
Philipp I - Op 24 No. 4 Phalenes.pdf
Philipp I - Op 92 Trois Pieces.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Malcolm and Sir Peter---I've not played much Philipp until these postings, so having fun exploring these pieces.
lrem

Post by lrem »

naturlaut wrote:On Alberic Magnard: we all know the Op. 7, but he wrote two other work for piano, Op. 1 Three Pieces, and another one called En Dieu mon espérance et mon épée pour ma défense. Anyone has scores of these two pieces? Thank you.
I am also looking for those Magnard solo piano scores other than the Promenades, opus 7. I have never seen them advertised for sale or available for download anywhere. Thanks in advance.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

a classic with some old favorites and some unknowns... look also for some music by the "mysterious" Charles Godard !...

sharing is caring!

Modern French Pianoforte Album Vol. 1

Godard, Charles - Op. 66 - Valse - Danse d'Etoiles (Dance of the Stars)
Lemieux, Edouard E. - WoO - Annette Waltzes
Batiste, Edouard - The Pilgrim's Song of Hope (transcr. Jules de Sivrai)
d'Orso, F. - Op. 47 - Nocturne - Reve d'un Ange (Angel's Dream)
Lack, Theodore - Op. 92 - Idylle - Le Chant du Ruisseau (Song of the Brook)
Thomas, Ambroise - WoO - Mignon - Gavotte
Gabriel-Marie - WoO - Air dans le Style Ancien - La Cinquantaine
Thomé, Francis - Op. 65 - Serenade Espagnole - Mandoline
Godard, Charles - Op. 68 - Waltz - Roses d'Avril - Roses of April
Godard, Charles - Op. 74 - Idylle - Au Hameau (At The Hamlet)
d'Orso, F. - Op. 27 - Morceau de Genre - Parting Hour
d'Orso, Francesco - Op. 23 - Redowa - Amusette
Beaumont, Paul - Morceau de Salon - Sang-Froid
Godard, Charles - Op. 65 - Meditation - L'Angelus
Ludovic, G. - Op. 48 - Caprice - La Clochette du Convent (Convent Bells)
Ludovic, G. - Op. 33 - Chanson de Margeurite - Marguerite
Lack, Theodore - Op. 83 - Cabaletta
Thomé, Francis - WoO - Romance sans Paroles - Simple Aveu (Artless Confidence)
Gautier, Leonard - WoO - Intermezzo Pizzicato - Le Secret
Massenet, Jules - Der Cid - Aragonaise
Ludovic, G. - Op. 82 - Bluette - Petits Oiseaux Chantez Toujours (Joyous Bird)
Godard, Benjamin - Op. 56 No. 02 - Valse (2nd Waltz)
Godard, Benjamin - Op. 83 - Au Matin (At Morn)
Beaumont, Paul - WoO - Melodie - Con Amore
MODERN FRENCH PIANO ALBUM VOL. 01 - TITLE-71.pdf
MODERN FRENCH PIANO ALBUM VOL. 01 - 72-END.pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you for these nice volumes, musiclife. I am going to spend an interesting evening playing through these, as I am only familiar with a few of them.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you very much, Musiclife, for this very pleasant Album. According to IMSLP, Charles Godard was a pseudonym for the German author Franz Behr (not to be confused with Benjamin Godard or with the astrology writer Charles Godard 1860-1912 or the author Charles-Félix Godard 1817–1881). Although Franz Behr was already well known and appreciated for numerous salon pieces, I assume writing some others under different names, especially the name of Godard which was then quite famous in France thanks to Benjamin Godard, was an astute commercial move.
Francesco d'Orso, another name in thsi album, is AGAIN a pseudonym for the same Franz Behr !
In the same album, we see the name of Paul Beaumont who is no more French than Charles Godard, as this is a pseudonym for Sydney Smith !
Another one, G Ludovic, was one of several pseudonyms of the very prolific Belgian composer and pianist Jean-Louis Gobbaerts (1835-88), who was born in Antwerp and spent much of his professional life in Brussels. Other names he used include Louis Streabbog (his real name spelt backwards! - and the name he used for many short teaching pieces), Ludwig Streabbog, Lévi Streabbog, Maurice Lecocq, and Maurice Le Cocq (information from our member P. Sear)
Finally, we have already mentioned somewhere in this forum the case of the mysterious Leonard Gautier, which is problably a British composer.
As for Edouard Lemieux, he was Canadian, but form French Canada (Marie-Nicole Lemieux is today the name of a young and famous French-Canadian opera mezzo singer)
Well, for a supposedly French Album, this makes a lot of non French composers, but maybe this kind of light salon music was considered as essentially French !

I have just discovered that this album was available here :
https://ia801301.us.archive.org/13/item ... 00behr.pdf
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

I am not sure whether we have already these pieces :
Godard Benjamin Twinkling Stars, op.72.pdf
Godard Benjamin Trembling leaves, caprice op.95.pdf
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Arthur Coquard (1846-1910)

In addition to his scores uploaded in imslp.org, I share this melody "A la Bien=Aimée".
Coquard_Artur_A_la_bien-Aimee.pdf
-nms- -ttos-
Quo melius Illac