French Piano Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: French Piano Music

Post by Jim Faston »

Is it the Vocalise-étude en forme de Habanera that you seek? If so, here is Maurice Dumesnil's transcription. Sorry, not great quality. --nms--
Ravel-Dumesnil_Habanera.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
besmart
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by besmart »

Thanks a bunch Jim. This is it!

Apparently after some more research there was also a piano solo version published by Leduc by Daniel Ericourt.

Anyone know anything about this arrangement.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

an interesting salon-type piece... cannot find opus number, but thought I would share.

Maurice Pesse - Comme Une Souffle Empaume (Fragrance From The Garden)
Pesse, Maurice-WoO-Comme Une Souffle Empaume (Fragrance from the Garden).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thanks for that. Maurice Pesse is a very interesting composer. This piece was also part of a collection of studies (Advanced study pieces for the pianoforte, Theodore Presser Co) with the correct French title : Comme un souffle embaumé.
I recommend "Il neige des pétales de fleurs", available on IMSLP (petals of flower are snowing).
In the same style, slightly reminiscent of a easy Debussy piece, here is "Après l'ondée" (After the rain), and in a very different style, a Spanish-style piece called Madrid.
Pesse Maurice Après l'ondée.pdf
Pesse Madrid.pdf
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Thanks musiclife217 and Jean-Séb.
Alex
Pianophiliac

Post by Alex »

I just found out about Ernest Fanelli, potentially the founder of French Impressionism in music. I can only find one recording that has been made of his works, and no scores. Does anyone have piano works by Fanelli?
Apparently Gabriel Pierne learned of his music and arranged for performances that led to a brief revival of his music. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Fanelli
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

I only know that recording, very interesting.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Jean-Séb wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:53 am Thanks for that. Maurice Pesse is a very interesting composer. This piece was also part of a collection of studies (Advanced study pieces for the pianoforte, Theodore Presser Co) with the correct French title : Comme un souffle embaumé.
I recommend "Il neige des pétales de fleurs", available on IMSLP (petals of flower are snowing).
In the same style, slightly reminiscent of a easy Debussy piece, here is "Après l'ondée" (After the rain), and in a very different style, a Spanish-style piece called Madrid.Pesse Maurice Après l'ondée.pdfPesse Madrid.pdf
You're welcome - glad to have shed some light on this composer!
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 pm I just found out about Ernest Fanelli, potentially the founder of French Impressionism in music. I can only find one recording that has been made of his works, and no scores. Does anyone have piano works by Fanelli?
Apparently Gabriel Pierne learned of his music and arranged for performances that led to a brief revival of his music. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Fanelli
Yes, the recording is interesting. There are moments of beauty in it.
Re his piano music, I can only find the first part of his Tableaux symphoniques, originally for orchestra and available in piano reduction from the Austrian National Library as well as several American libraries. A few other works by him include piano, but not in a solo capacity by the looks.

4c
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

Re Maurice Pesse, does anyone happen to have the piece 'Sous les Halliers' by Pesse? There is a copy on IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/Sous_les_Hallier ... ,_Maurice) uploaded by 'Mompou' but it is missing two pages.