French Piano Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Re: French Piano Music

Post by phikfy »

My best loved Ravel piano work. Thanks Alfor for the fingering. Let me try that out at home.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by alfor »

American anthropologist Robert Download jr. recently discovered that the
Anodo* is a species of its own.
So this is my first posting which is wholeheartedly dedicated to this species:

RAVEL
Scarbo

alfor fingered (inspired by the editions of Nancy Bricard, Richard Dowling and Gaby Casadesus)

Ravel Scarbo alfor fingered.pdf

*Anonymous Downloader

P.S. Does anybody know the Wiener Urtext edition, fingered by Peter Roggenkamp?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

I am surprised that Alfor did not know the three japanese versions....

anyway, i do not know of the Wiener Urtext edition, fingered by Peter Roggenkamp; and i am curious to see 1-2 pages of it, hopefully this will not infringe the copyright laws?
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

soh choon wee wrote:I am surprised that Alfor did not know the three japanese versions....

anyway, i do not know of the Wiener Urtext edition, fingered by Peter Roggenkamp; and i am curious to see 1-2 pages of it, hopefully this will not infringe the copyright laws?
not uncommon for the bigger in print ones to have publishing samples released, heck i have even seen where the software and std practice posts the entire work as a 'sample' if the work is short enough since usually several images get posted, and so for 2-4 page works, sometimes we can see the scores in their entirety , sometimes without so much obstruction by 'sample' and usually the middle part is not 'white out' a big white box they sometimes put right in the middle of the page.

i consulted with Dr. Google and this was the prescriptions given
For the new edition published by the Wiener Urtext Edition, the editors consulted not only the first edition used almost exclusively up to now, but also Ravel's autograph as well as his personal copy of the first edition on the basis of which numerous passages in the musical text could be corrected and brought closer to Ravel's original intention. In addition, the editors included corrections from personal copies of various students of Ravel. Entries of the composer going well beyond mere text corrections and practical performance tips handed down by his students are analysed in the Notes of Interpretation. The reader-friendly large-format Wiener Urtext edition is completed by a trilingual glossary of the French performance instructions used by Ravel as well as English and German translations of Bertrand's three poems.

sorry for absence of late, been scanning, hope can throw a few things out here into the deep end of our pool next few days 8-)
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Scriabinoff wrote:I consulted with Dr. Google and this was the prescriptions given
Dr. Google is in fact a good friend of mine... :mrgreen:
So I am sorry to say that your posting did not give any new information.
Last edited by alfor on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

I knew there had to be a better fingering that what I've been using in some of those passages.....and now I know what it is! Thanks for the Scarbo fingering, Alfred.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:I knew there had to be a better fingering that what I've been using in some of those passages.....and now I know what it is! Thanks for the Scarbo fingering, Alfred.
Always at your service!

soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

I need some help from the learned community.

A high-school student of mine came and request to learn some Messiaen - Vingt Regards.
It is beyond me, i never learn it myself, i dont like it and i think it is not productive as a teaching piece. So i nicely rejected her, and i can notice she is disappointed. After she left, i felt bad and take out the scores to take another look at it.

My question: what is a good starting point, since she seems determined to learn some of it. Assuming she could overcome the tedious notes-deciphering stage, what are the difficulties following that?

I am thinking, the next lesson, i may suggest her to start with I. Regard du Pére, i think the piece is slow and perhaps not too demanding. How is this piece compared in difficulties to Rachmaninoff C-sharp minor prelude, Op 3-2. It appears to have some similarities.

Or, should i start her on something else?
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Hello soh choon wee,
I have played most of the movements from Vingt Regards and if your pupil wants to learn some of them, then well done to her for wanting something challenging and for wanting to play something that for me at least very satisfying.
My suggestions are from personal experience, the first one is a very good start as once you have the first page then you have the whole piece, the second, "Regard de l'etoile" is more challenging but again once you have the chord patterns in your head, nothing too difficult, my personal favourite is number 19 "Je dors, mais mon coeur veille", it is once again full of not too difficult phrases which once learned reappear quite a lot. More difficult but again full of repeating patterns is number 16 "Regard des prophetes, des bergers et des mages", here there are two reasonably difficult canonic sections but once mastered the rest is fairly easy. Number 4 Regard de la Vierge is quite easy but probably less interesting on a musical level.
Hope this helps, I know from personal experience that if you want to have a go at something beyond you then do it, you will learn far more than just tackling things that you can read at sight.
regards
Brian
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

Thanks, Brian....your tips are useful.