Scandinavian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Scandinavian Composers

Post by fredbucket »

fhimpsl wrote:Hi All, Does anyone have or know of a source for the works of Norwegian composer Halfdan Cleve? I've only heard one piece (an Ampico piano roll of an etude) but it is superbly written and very melodic.
Cleve died in 1951, so I think it's safe to post at least a sample of his works here. I have two etudes -
Cleve - Op. 5 Etude.pdf
Cleve - Op.17 Etude No. 2.pdf
I'm not sure which is the one you heard.

Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Fred, Thank you ever so much for these....what beautiful romantic piano writing! Why are gorgeous pieces like these always the most obscure? It seems that I had a lapse in memory regarding the Cleve piece as neither of the etudes were familiar to me. Checking through the piano rolls, I found that the piece in question is actually his Ballade in Eb, Op. 8, recorded as Ampico roll No. 64603 by Erwin Nyiregyhazi. I am sorry for having erroneously remembered it as an etude, but it is one powerhouse of a work so that's probably why. If these pieces are representative of Cleve's entire piano works, he is genuinely a genius lost in obscurity. Once again sincere thanks and my apolegies for remembering the piece as an etude.
Very Best Regards,

Frank Himpsl (fhimpsl)
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A composer that need little introduction - not aware of his Sonata ever being posted before on PP ? Sorry not a brilliant copy, but hopefully readable [thank you PC].

Schytte - Piano Sonata Op 53.
Schytte L - Op 53 Piano Sonata.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends, I was able to locate the Ampico piano roll of "Ballade Op. 8" by Halfdan Cleve, recorded by Erwin Nyiregyhazi as Ampico roll No. 64603. I made a midi file of the roll which is attached, including dynamics. The piece is a really grande, powerhouse of a work!

Enjoy!

Frank Himpsl
Cleve-Ballade Op. 8.mid
:D
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Thanks for the midi! Do you per chance have the score?
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

My pleasure, I am glad you enjoyed the midi. Sorry to say I don't have the Op. 8 Cleve score, but I am on the lookout for all of his many piano works. They are extremely elusive to say the least!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Frederik Rung (1854-1914). Danish composer. Son of Henrik Rung. Studied with his father. Became conductor at the Copenhagen Opera (1984); taught at the conservatoire (1881-93). Works include opera, a symphony, rhapsody for orchestra, serenade for 9 instruments, piano quintet, 2 string quartets, violin sonata, various piano pieces and songs.

I've posted his Three Etudes Op 45 !!

Malcolm

Rung F - Op 45 Trois Etudes.pdf
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

mballan wrote:Frederik Rung (1854-1914). Danish composer. Son of Henrik Rung. Studied with his father. Became conductor at the Copenhagen Opera (1984); taught at the conservatoire (1881-93). Works include opera, a symphony, rhapsody for orchestra, serenade for 9 instruments, piano quintet, 2 string quartets, violin sonata, various piano pieces and songs.

Malcolm

Malc was the appointment at the opera a posthumous one or was the post revived :lol:
in jest only
Brian
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
mballan wrote:Frederik Rung (1854-1914). Danish composer. Son of Henrik Rung. Studied with his father. Became conductor at the Copenhagen Opera (1984); taught at the conservatoire (1881-93). Works include opera, a symphony, rhapsody for orchestra, serenade for 9 instruments, piano quintet, 2 string quartets, violin sonata, various piano pieces and songs.

Malcolm

Malc was the appointment at the opera a posthumous one or was the post revived :lol:
in jest only
Brian

I'm sure if they dug him up and left him in front of an orchestra.....his performance wouldn't be dissimilar to some current conductors :lol: :lol: :lol: Well spotted Brian.....slip of the digits [a bit like my piano playing] :D

Malc
mark08

Post by mark08 »

HI
Anyone have anything by Dag Wiren ?
Perhaps even a solo/four hand/two piano arrangement of the delightful Little Suite ?
Thanks.

mark08