Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music from Mexico

Post by mballan »

ilu wrote:
Jim Faston wrote:Anyone with the Two Pieces, Op.26 of Ricardo Castro? Thanks.

1. Valse-arabesque
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5ndDKN5lE
2. Berceuse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uvym-eG8sA
I don't have those 2 scores, but I will try to get them.

Regards.
Op 26 is available through Berlin.......I'll try to get a copy at some stage.

Malcolm
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thanks Ilu.
You are welcome.
Quo melius Illac
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Hi:

I would like to share Guillermo Ortiz’ Mazurka: “Feliz Momento” (Happy Moment), downloaded from University of Maine.
Ortiz Guillermo-Feliz_Momento.pdf
Regards.

ILU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
Witzelsucht
Instruments played, if any: Piano and the recorder a little bit ;)

Post by Witzelsucht »

Here's a little contribution which I hope you'll like, guys. There was an introductory text which the scanner just wouldn't get right, but since it was in Spanish anyway, I decided to write it down here, in my own (non-professional) English translation, if anyone's interested in it:

"Suite Cubana

Ponce wrote the Suite Cubana during his stay in Cuba, from 1915 to 1917. A strong Spanish influence, as well as elements from African music present in the Caribbean island, are to be found in Ponce's work in the form of dance rhythms, melodic and harmonic figures, typical of Cuba's musical mixed-race heritage.

The Serenata Marina (Marine Serenade) is framed by a prelude and a coda in which the author suggests the tuning up of a guitar by means of sounds that evoke the harmonics of this instrument. In the first part of the work, the author interpolates, among the melodic phrases, a "soleares" rhythm that reminds us of Andalusian dances. The middle section is written in the relative major and makes use of procedures characteristic of the Impressionist idiom. The reexposition is a note-by-note repetition of the first part of the piece.

The second piece, Plenilunio, is a dance in two sections, each of which is, in turn, of binary structure. The last repetition of the work's main theme is profusely ornamented, in the style of the music of Enrique Granados and Isaac Albéniz. The Phrygian turns of phrase in the cadences that close the middle part of both sections emphasize the Spanish character of the piece. The languor of the "hamaca rhythm" has, however, a strong Cuban flavor.

The third piece of the suite, Paz de Ocaso, is an example of the author's Impressionist style. The same atmosphere, inspired by the banks of the Damují river, is preserved in its three sections."

Enjoy!
Manuel M. Ponce - Suite Cubana.pdf
Very best,
Witzelsucht
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"ʻO ke alehulā ia, a ʻo ke kemowi ʻakekelo,
Ua kalaʻai a kāpoʻopoʻo ma ka makie,
Ua malāoa nā pōkūkū,
A kūhīhō nā poʻakaina ʻāiʻa."
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Many thanks for this. I especially like the Plenilunio.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you for the score and the translated comments.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Many thanks indeed, Ponce always welcomed.

Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Seconded! Very nice indeed. Enjoyed playing through the suite this morning. It's been years since I've played any of Ponce's music.
Witzelsucht

Post by Witzelsucht »

Thank you guys for the comments, I'm happy you liked it! 'Plenilunio' is also my favorite, Jim. ;)

Best,
Witzelsucht
Ua malāoa nā pōkūkū,
Witzelsucht

Post by Witzelsucht »

Here's some more Ponce, guys, fresh out of the scanner. ;) This time I'm uploading his "Trío Romántico"; I wasn't very sure whether to put it here or at the "Piano Trio" thread in "Chamber music discussion", but since a couple other non-piano solo works have already been uploaded here, I thought it wouldn't hurt to follow suit.

This is definitely one of my favorite works by Ponce and, as far as I know, almost impossible to come across on the internet; there's one at IMSLP, but it's not this one. I was fortunate enough to be able to get in touch with professor Monique Rasetti from UNAM's Faculty of Music, and she very kindly lent me her score for photocopying. It was, itself, a photocopy, and while the quality of the violin and cello parts is reasonably good, I do have to warn you there are some bits in the piano part that are not that clean or are missing a couple of notes, although, thankfully, not too often, and not too few of those missing notes can easily be figured out.

I apologize for page 5 which was scanned twice by mistake; on the other hand, there are no missing pages in any of the parts. You'll notice there's a number of crossed out measures in the first movement in all three parts, more precisely, the ones that lead to the first repeat of the first section of that movement. Those measures are indeed omitted in professor Rasetti's own recording of the piece (Trío Témpori), but they are not in other renderings I've listened to, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWayKEFP44o
Ponce's Trío Romántico (piano part).pdf
Ponce's Trío Romántico (violin part).pdf
Ponce's Trío Romántico (cello part).pdf
Happy playing!
Best regards,
Witzelsucht
Ua malāoa nā pōkūkū,