Light Music Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Melargren
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Light Music Thread

Post by Melargren »

Greetings from Finland! Enthusiastic pianophile here.

I wish this thread brings to light a neglected but extremely enjoyable genre.

So what exactly is light music, a.k.a. mood music? Let me quote a definition by the Light music Society:
Light Music bridges the gap between classical and popular music, although its boundaries are often blurred. It is music with an immediate appeal, music to entertain and to enjoy. It has a strong emphasis on melody, and as such, it is designed to appeal to a wider audience than more serious forms of the Western classical music tradition.
The waltzes of Strauss can be regarded as earliest examples light music, and so could be salon music and novelty songs of the 20’s and 30’s. We already have threads for these styles. The golden age of light music took place between 1940 and 1960. While light music was predominantly performed by large orchestras, especially in the late 50’s, the piano arrangements of the hits were popular back in the days.

But who are the names behind light music? The Robert Farnon Society, named after one of the light music giants, has a long albeit not full list of composers who at some point of their career produced music than can be considered “light music”:

David Ades, Ronnie Aldrich, Leroy Anderson, John Barry, Les Baxter, Ronald Binge, Stanley Black, Howard Blake, Leslie Bridgewater, Frederick Charrosin, Frank Chacksfield, Francis Chagrin, Eric Coates, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Frederic Curzon, Harry Parr Davies, Trevor Duncan, Vivian Ellis, Joseph Engleman, , Percy Faith, Robert Farnon, Percy Fletcher, John Fox, Greg Francis, Ron Goodwin, Morton Gould, Philip Green, Johnny Gregory, Ronnie Hazlehurst, John Holliday, Roberto Inglez, Albert Ketelbey, Andre Kostelanetz, Gordon Langford, Philip Lane, Dolf van der Linden, Monia Liter, William Lloyd Webber, Leighton Lucas, , Mantovani, Ray Martin, Billy Mayerl, George Melachrino, Mitch Miller, Cecil Milner, Angela Morley, Norrie Paramor, Cyril Ornadel, Tony Osborne, Helen Perkin, Donald Phillips, Franck Pourcel, Clive Richardson, Neil Richardson, Roger Roger, David Rose, Edmundo Ros, Conrad Salinger, , Raymond Scott, Edrich Siebert, Cyril Stapleton, James Stevens, Frank Tapp, Phyllis Tate, Billy Ternent, Ernest Tomlinson, Sidney Torch, Cyril Watters, Paul Weston, Lou Whiteson, Charles Williams, Roger Williams, John Wilson, Haydn Wood, Peter Yorke, Leon Young, Victor Young.

Some of the names are more associated with easy listening genre (Les Baxter, Mantovani, Frank Chacksfield), while some (for example Dolf van der Linden and Cyril Watters) were more prolific for composing production music for music libraries such as Chappell, Boosey & Hawkes and Bosworth. Some like Billy Mayerl and Raymond Scott are better known for the piano novelties, and thus their scores belong to the School of Syncopation thread.

I’d like to start by posting a couple of examples from the legends mentioned above. Sadly it’s very difficult to find light music scores in Finland, hence my scanned collection is very limited.
Ketelbey, Albert - Jungle Drums.pdf
Anderson, Leroy - Bugler's Holiday.pdf
Ellis, Vivian - Coronation Scot.pdf
Coates, Eric - London Again.pdf
Rose, David - Dance of the Spanish Onion.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Melargren

Re: Light Music Thread

Post by Melargren »

Let's continue with a couple of nice tunes by British light music maestros Albert Ketèlbey and Eric Coates.
Haven't seen these ones posted before, so I scanned them.

Ketelbey, Albert - With The Roumanian Gypsies.pdf
Coates, Eric - By The Sleepy Lagoon.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you, Melargren.
lito valle
Pianophiliac
Conducting

Post by lito valle »

Curzon, Frederic
Robin Hood Suite (piano solo)(1937)
(and color cover...)
Curzon, Frederic - Robin Hood Suite (1937).pdf
lito valle
Pianophiliac
Conducting

Post by lito valle »

More Coates
Coates_The Three Bears (Phantasy).pdf
Coates - The Three Elizabeths (Piano Suite).pdf
lito valle
Pianophiliac
Conducting

Post by lito valle »

Works by Haydn Wood (1882 - 1959)
Wood, Haydn -Elizabeth of England - 2 Pianos (Lowry).pdf
Wood, Haydn - Elizabeth of England Grand March (1952).pdf
Wood, Haydn - Moods - piano suite.pdf
Wood, Haydn - Three Famous Cinema Stars (1929).pdf
Melargren

Post by Melargren »

These scores were lingering on the web. I decided to clean them:

Paul Nero (1917-1958) - Hot Canary
YouTube recording by Florian Zabach
Nero, Paul - The Hot Canary.pdf
Bernie Wayne (1919 - 1993) - The Magic Touch
Spotify recording by Hugo Winterhalter Orchestra
Wayne, Bernie - The Magic Touch.pdf
Jack Fina (1913-1970) - Piano Portrait
YouTube recording by Freddy Martin & Orchestra
Fina, Jack - Piano Portrait.pdf
tateaddis
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Organ

Post by tateaddis »

Thank you so much for these wonderful British pieces. Would happen to have a copy of Clive Richardson's 'The Beachcomber'? Thank you in advance!
Melargren

Post by Melargren »

Two recent scans.

Leroy Anderson (1908 - 1975) - Serenata
YouTube recording by Boston Pops Orchestra
Anderson, Leroy - Serenata.pdf
Albert Ketèlbey (1875 - 1959) - A Japanese Carnival
YouTube recording by Piano Markus
Ketelbey, Albert - A Japanese Carnival.pdf
Anyone happen to have David Rose's Holiday for Strings? I have very low quality version that it irritates me.
tateaddis
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Organ

Post by tateaddis »

I believe I have the Rose somewhere in storage. Hopefully, I'll be able to scan and post it in a few days!
Melargren wrote:Two recent scans.

Leroy Anderson (1908 - 1975) - Serenata
YouTube recording by Boston Pops Orchestra
Anderson, Leroy - Serenata.pdf
Albert Ketèlbey (1875 - 1959) - A Japanese Carnival
YouTube recording by Piano Markus
Ketelbey, Albert - A Japanese Carnival.pdf
Anyone happen to have David Rose's Holiday for Strings? I have very low quality version that it irritates me.