Piano Transcriptions for two hands

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tracyross
Instruments played, if any: Piano, electric keyboards, harpsichord, organ, trumpet, flugelhorn, cornet, piccolo trumpet
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Transcriptions for two hands

Post by tracyross »

Here are the 5 pieces from that web site.
5 Pieces Martucci.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
besmart
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by besmart »

Thanks so much!
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

I wonder why no one has apparently transcribed Rachmaninov's Romance for one piano, 6 hands.

It seems like this piece would be easily transcribed and wouldn't lose much in a solo transcription. Anyone have thoughts about this?
Alex
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Alex »

The Scherzo from Alexander Glazunov's 7th Symphony for your piano playing pleasure.
Glazunov Scherzo 7th Symphony (2H Bolton).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

lebowl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm I wonder why no one has apparently transcribed Rachmaninov's Romance for one piano, 6 hands.

It seems like this piece would be easily transcribed and wouldn't lose much in a solo transcription. Anyone have thoughts about this?
Here's my stab at it.
RACHMANINOV WoO Romance in A (6H to 2H).pdf
It would be a little easier if the soloist had 3-4 hands, but what can you do?
aladin
Participant
Music Scores: No

Post by aladin »

Thanks Lebowl for this new (to me) Rachmaninoff.
Rare Rachmaninoff piece is always a nice surprise.

Thanks bingo for making a nice transcription of it.
I really enjoy playing it. :D

There is a typo:
at bar 46, c flat should be sharp.

BTW what program do you use to notate your transcription?
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

bingo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 am
lebowl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm I wonder why no one has apparently transcribed Rachmaninov's Romance for one piano, 6 hands.

Here's my stab at it.RACHMANINOV WoO Romance in A (6H to 2H).pdf

It would be a little easier if the soloist had 3-4 hands, but what can you do?
I think it's possible to do a transcription that utilizes a lot more of the notes in the original three person version. When I started doing a transcription of this many years ago, I had the RH play most all of the notes in in upper part(just octaves) and the LH play most of the notes in the middle and lower part by playing an octave in the bass followed by music like the middle person plays.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

aladin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:01 pm Thanks Lebowl for this new (to me) Rachmaninoff.
Rare Rachmaninoff piece is always a nice surprise.

Thanks bingo for making a nice transcription of it.
I really enjoy playing it. :D

There is a typo:
at bar 46, c flat should be sharp.

BTW what program do you use to notate your transcription?
You're right. In fact there were two typos in that bar. Probably a hand slip in the notation program (Musescore freeware) as I am prone to do when I execute a command and the default measure isn't the one I thought it was.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

lebowl wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 pm

I think it's possible to do a transcription that utilizes a lot more of the notes in the original three person version. When I started doing a transcription of this many years ago, I had the RH play most all of the notes in in upper part(just octaves) and the LH play most of the notes in the middle and lower part by playing an octave in the bass followed by music like the middle person plays.
It's always possible to use a lot more of the original material. About 75% of this is trivially compressible due to the octaves as you describe but then you end up with a section (roughly measure 46 on) that is materially different to the rest of the piece in sound and difficulty without adding much musically. What works as a solution in part may not work well in the whole, especially where those partial solutions meet.

My aim was to create an accessible reduction that was not greatly more effortful than any of the three parts, and not feel like three sequences stitched together with the seams showing. Admittedly I only spent about three hours on it, but most of the work was in throwing away material that unbalanced the whole. However I look forward to seeing your version and learning from your approach!
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

While researching some family history in the National Library of Australia, I stumbled into the sheet music section, and found these Gounod transcriptions by the Italian pianist Emanuel de Beaupuis (1860-1913) who lived and worked in Australia for a number of years.

GOUNOD Serenade
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-692449771/view
https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7063927

GOUNOD Fantaisie facile sur l'opera Faust
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-169052176/view
https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7073679

There are many of his salon-ish original works on IMSLP and more in the NLA online archive. I'll post separately on those under Australian/Italian/Salon? section soon as his name doesn't seem to have appeared on this forum before.
Last edited by bingo on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.