Piano Miniature Sets

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
klavieronin

Piano Miniature Sets

Post by klavieronin »

Sorry if there is a thread for this already but I searched and couldn't find one.

I'm looking to learn a collection of piano miniatures and am wondering if there is anything out there comparable to Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives. I want something preferably (but not necessarily) modern, short pieces (2-3 pages max), and a decent number of them (say, around the 20-30 mark). Difficulty isn't an issue but I would prefer if they were suitable for concert, i.e. not student pieces.

Thanks.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Miniature Sets

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

klavieronin you are right there is no thread dedicated to the miniature piece in collections apart from the PWM series which for your purposes don't count.
I would suggest given your remit that you search for the suites by Walter Niemann, Leopold Godowsky, Sergei Bortkiewicz, all of which have been represented here in other threads. I am sure there will be other interesting collections that for one reason or another have difficulty being inserted into another thread.
Good luck
regards
Brian
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

If I'm picking you up correctly, my first thought (although there may be just a few too many pieces) would be Alkan's collection of 48+1 Esquisses, Op. 63 and/or his 25 Préludes, Op. 31.

4c
klavieronin

Post by klavieronin »

Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering the Alkan sets already and have my eye on Godowsky's Walzermasken or Triakontameron for sometime in the future. I think I'm going to go for Shostakovich's 24 Preludes, Op.34 or Scriabin's Op.11 (mabey even both depending on how it goes). Still, keep the suggestions coming if you have any. I'm always interested in learning about new music.
HTIEKFR
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: PIANO

Post by HTIEKFR »

Completely different you have "Péchés de vieillesse" by Rossini but the pieces are a little bit longer than 2 or 3 pages and probably "24 petits riens" by Rossini as well will be closer to your request
Regards
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

our own Phillip Sear was examining Carl Bohm's Op. 327 Salon-Kompositionen, which looked like it was to be of 100 works, but it seems 78 completed works...

is anyone interested in collecting the rest? I can certainly do my part...
HTIEKFR
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: PIANO

Post by HTIEKFR »

klavieronin wrote:Sorry if there is a thread for this already but I searched and couldn't find one.

I'm looking to learn a collection of piano miniatures and am wondering if there is anything out there comparable to Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives. I want something preferably (but not necessarily) modern, short pieces (2-3 pages max), and a decent number of them (say, around the 20-30 mark). Difficulty isn't an issue but I would prefer if they were suitable for concert, i.e. not student pieces.

Thanks.
Thinking about your post, came to my mind Chick Corea Children songs which are very nice modern miniatures. Although Chick Corea is known being a jazz pianist, these pieces are written and not too difficult.
klavieronin

Post by klavieronin »

HTIEKFR wrote:Thinking about your post, came to my mind Chick Corea Children songs which are very nice modern miniatures. Although Chick Corea is known being a jazz pianist, these pieces are written and not too difficult.
Thanks for that recommendation HTIEKFR. I just had a listen to a recording on YouTube. I reckon these would make great teaching pieces. It's so hard to find good music that isn't too difficult.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Let's not forget Fibich's Moods, Impressions, and Souvenirs - some of the best miniatures there!
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

On behalf of LfP:

Hello Klavieronin,

Can I suggest Villa-Lobos Cirandas or his Cirandinhas.
Also there are 11 books of works under the heading of Guia Pratico. (Short and really very good).

There is a set of 25 Preludes by Gliere which are very good works but seldom heard.

August Winding did a very good set of 24 Preludes also seldom heard, though
both these sets have been recorded. As have all the Villa-Lobos pieces.
Naxos records have done a great service with all of his piano music. All of the Guia Pratico have been done by them, plus all other works of his for solo piano.

Best wishes Liveforpiano.