Walter Niemann

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Walter Niemann

Post by Paul »

mballan wrote:Paul

My personal thanks for all the excellent Niemann scores you have been posting - that has helped to fill in a number of gaps we had. Very much appreciated [please continue....I hope]! :D

Malc
You're welcome, Malcolm. Once I decide that I am interested in a composer I can be quite persistent. I will continue (as I did with Rossini, Sinding, Field, etc. in the several former incarnations of pianophilia).

Best regards

Paul
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Thanks Paul for these wonderful Nieman scores. I especially like the two sets of variations. Not only are gaps being filled, but these pieces are being played! Like, Malc, I hope you are able to continue to work through your list.
Paul
Pianophiliac

Post by Paul »

Dear fleubis,

statements like "these pieces are played" always make me happy since this is the only justification for what we are doing here. Just collecting and storing music like some libraries do (with a lot of restrictions in distributing) can't be the right thing to do.

So here are two more fresh from the scanner.

All the best

Paul
Niemann W op.155 Sonatine - Ein Spätsommertag.pdf
Niemann W op.189 Romantische Suite.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Paul wrote:Dear fleubis,

statements like "these pieces are played" always make me happy since this is the only justification for what we are doing here. Just collecting and storing music like some libraries do (with a lot of restrictions in distributing) can't be the right thing to do.

So here are two more fresh from the scanner.

All the best

Paul

BRAVO Paul
And thank you for all your scans
Oren
scanaholic

Post by scanaholic »

Paul wrote: statements like "these pieces are played" always make me happy since this is the only justification for what we are doing here. Just collecting and storing music like some libraries do (with a lot of restrictions in distributing) can't be the right thing to do.
That reminds me of a quote from Wikipedia about the Great Library:
According to Galen, Ptolemy III requested permission from the Athenians to borrow the original scripts of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, for which the Athenians demanded the enormous amount of fifteen talents as guarantee. Ptolemy happily paid the fee but kept the original scripts for the library.
Obviously we don't have the 15 talents so a copy of the copy is great.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Paul, many thanks for these new scores. I have several students actually learning some Niemann pieces. They are finding it a refreshing change from the standard repertoire. More accomplished students enjoy reading through the Niemann catalog and often express their amazement at the variety Niemann achieved and how much life is really left in tonality.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

fleubis wrote:...students...often express their amazement at the variety Niemann achieved and how much life is really left in tonality.
Wasn't it Schoenberg who said that there were still plenty of good tunes waiting to be written in C Major? I'm sure a fan of Schoenberg can provide the exact quote.
pianojay

Post by pianojay »

rob wrote:
fleubis wrote:...students...often express their amazement at the variety Niemann achieved and how much life is really left in tonality.
Wasn't it Schoenberg who said that there were still plenty of good tunes waiting to be written in C Major? I'm sure a fan of Schoenberg can provide the exact quote.
The exact quote: "There are plenty of good pieces waiting to be written in C major."
Happy New Ears!
Paul
Pianophiliac

Post by Paul »

Dear friends,

here are my definitely last scans for 2009 - 6 Sonatinas by Niemann, by the way the op.128 No1 and op.178 No3 are in C Major!! ;)

All the best for you in 2010!!

Paul
Niemann W op.128 3 leichte Sonatinen.pdf
Niemann W op.178 3 kleine Sonatinen.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

Dear Paul,

this will probably be my last post 2009, dedicated to you and your numerous contributions with works by Walter Niemann. At the moment I'm reading his autobiography (in German, only, see http://www.romana-hamburg.de/Niemann.htm and http://www.staccato-verlag.de/index.php ... &Itemid=32). I ordered a Niemann video DVD and some Niemann CDs from romana-hamburg, and I look forward to the moment I can take my time to listen to Niemann's own piano tone, his style of touching the keys - I'll let you know:

Walter Niemann (1876—1953), Werke III, Niemann spielt eigene Werke (Werke III für Pianoforte) (64'56")

1-13 „Hamburg“ op. 107. Ein Zyklus von 13 Charakterstücken. Herrn Hans Hermanns, Hamburg, in aufrichtiger Verehrung zugeeignet. (Electrola-Aufnahmen um 1940)
1) Hafen (Die Werft-Hämmer) 2) Spuk (Nacht am Fleet) 3) Elternhaus (Es war einmal) 4) Disput (Die drei Börsenmakler) 5) Matrosen (Norweger beim Ankerlichten) 6) A. D. 1600 (Eine Pavane des Herrn Senators) 7) Brahms (Geburtshaus) 8) Alter Michel (Michaelis-Kirche) 9) Drehorgel (Eine verstimmte Groteske) 10) Laterne! (Kinderreigen) 11) St. Pauli (Tango) 12) Mondnacht (an der Alster) 13) Hymnus (Ausblick).

14-16 Scarlattiana op. 126: Drei kleine Sonaten in der Art des Domenico Scarlatti (1685—1757) für Klavier oder Cembalo zu 2 Hd. (Electrola-Aufnahmen um 1940)

Einzelaufnahmen (meist Odeon-Aufnahmen 1942):

17 Im grün-porzellanenen Teehaus (aus op. 76)
18 Italienischer Straßensänger (aus op. 84)
19 Die kleine Schäferin (aus op. 120)
20 Tupmans Walzer (aus op. 39)
21 Altgriechischer Tempelreigen (aus op. 51)

Not played by Niemann:

22 Kleine Variationen über eine alt-irische Volksweise „Lilliburlero” (Henry Purchell) op. 146, gespielt von Karl Lenzen. Dem Konzert-Pianisten Dr. Karl Lenzen (Aachen / Dublin) in Verehrung
23 Silberne Kaskade, gespielt von Walter Gieseking

All the best to you and to everybody here, not only for 2010!