Muzio Clementi

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ClementiSociety

Muzio Clementi

Post by ClementiSociety »

PH vol1 monochrome.pdf
Mod Edit: I have created a new thread for Muzio Clementi, and have moved CS's post from the Trésor des Pianistes thread here. If anyone wants me to move other Clementi posts here (particularly from the British composers'(!) thread, I'll see if I can do that. FB

The Porpora in vol6 is exactly the same selection as in Clementi's 'Practical Harmony' vol1 p38-50, where they are described as 'fugatos'.
I've uploaded vol1 of Clementi's 'Selection of Practical Harmony' here and will upload the other volumes when I get a moment. Thanks to fredbucket for producing these monochrome versions which speed up the process.

In the meantime all 4 volumes of the 'Selection of Practical Harmony' can be uploaded at http://www.clementisociety.com/practicalharmony.html
with the option of high resolution files, a list of authors and a detailed contents page (the 'Practical Harmony' is over 500 pages long!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Muzio Clementi

Post by fredbucket »

ClementiSociety wrote:In the meantime all 4 volumes of the 'Selection of Practical Harmony' can be uploaded at http://www.clementisociety.com/practicalharmony.html
with the option of high resolution files, a list of authors and a detailed contents page (the 'Practical Harmony' is over 500 pages long!).
Thanks for that, CS. These are very important publications, including what is believed to be the first publication of Bach's French Suite #5, although not titled as such and in a different order to modern editions.

Regards
Fred
ClementiSociety

Important publications indeed, filled with keyboard gems from 25 authors of the 17th and 18th centuries, from Frescobaldi to Haydn (the Frescobaldi fugues are spurious but not the Canzonas and other pieces in the volumes). Clementi seems to have picked the best from most authors. Even just the opening Kirnberger pages (vol1, p8-31) are worth a serious sight-read - they are gorgeous pieces that are quite unknown today (as they were at Clementi's time). Clementi's introductory 'Epitome of Counterpoint' (vol1, p2-7) is the most successfully concise overview of the art of counterpoint that I have ever read. A couple of arrangements by Clementi, including a good one of the Kyrie from Mozart's 'Requiem' (vol1, p108-109).

According to Leon Plantinga, all the JS Bach pieces in Clementi's 'Selection of Practical Harmony' are first editions ('Clementi: His Life and Music, OUP, 1977, p157). There are some more JS Bach pieces in vol2 (Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Adagio and Fugue in D minor) and vol3 (2 fugues: A minor and C major). The French Suite in vol1 is preceded by a long prelude in the same key of g major (p132-137).

The volumes uploaded here are copies of the original collected 2-volume edition of the 'Selection of Practical Harmony' by Clementi & Co. (c.1815), in which volumes 1-2 and 3-4 are bound together respectively.

I am having trouble uploading vols 2,3 and 4, which are above the 20MB limit. Any help would be appreciated.

ClementiSociety
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

ClementiSociety wrote:I am having trouble uploading vols 2,3 and 4, which are above the 20MB limit. Any help would be appreciated.
I've increased the limit to 50mByte. Please try again.

Regards
Fred
ClementiSociety

Fantastic, but volume 2 is still too big (53MB).
PH vol3 monochrome.pdf
Parag suggested I also give my Dropbox link for the high resolution versions:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y8lef8edzwi ... GrGpa?dl=0

Best,

ClementiSociety
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ClementiSociety on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClementiSociety

Here is volume 4...
PH vol4 monochrome.pdf
ClementiSociety
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

ClementiSociety wrote:Fantastic, but volume 2 is still too big (53MB)
Limit is now 60 mBytes. Any advance on 60? :-)

Regards
Fred
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

These volumes are very interesting. Thank you ClementiSociety.
If the second volume is definitely too big even after the extension of the uploading limits, you might condider splitting it.
ClementiSociety

All good. Thanks for that, Fred :D
PH vol2 monochrome.pdf
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

Very good. Thank you.