Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by isokani »

On Saturday 20th January, at The Queen's College, Oxford, UK, at 12.30pm, there will be a portrait concert of LEONID NIKOLAYEV, featuring seven of his songs, plus his Fugue, Nocturne, Gavotte, Barcarolle and Sonata (the op.15 one) for solo piano. Performers will be Betty Makharinsky (soprano) and Jonathan Powell (piano). There will also be a few songs by Catoire and Rachmaninoff.
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

Hello, last week we recorded most of a CD of Nikolayev -- the songs opp.4, 9 & 18, the solo piano pieces Barcarolle op.7, Fugue in D flat major, Gavotte, Tarantella op.19, Sonata op.15 and Nocturne op.16. The large Sonata for 'cello and piano will be recorded in the Spring, to complete the disc.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

isokani wrote:Hello, last week we recorded most of a CD of Nikolayev -- the songs opp.4, 9 & 18, the solo piano pieces Barcarolle op.7, Fugue in D flat major, Gavotte, Tarantella op.19, Sonata op.15 and Nocturne op.16. The large Sonata for 'cello and piano will be recorded in the Spring, to complete the disc.
Please let us know when this CD is available. It would be a worthwhile addition to any library, especially mine.
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Post by Emil Borisovich Sernov »

Hello Members,

Does anybody have 'Piano Piece in A flat' by Sergei Rachmaninoff? Pianist Vladimir Ashkenazy recorded this work on Decca CD.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Hello Jim,

No. Here is the link of the recording (not Ashkenazy performance)

https://youtu.be/qV0Jiy36q8o

I heard the story that Scott Davie, the performer in this recording, accidentally discovered the manuscript from Library of Congress.
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Hello members,

Does anybody have information about 'Dmitri Shostakovich New Collected Works, Vol.109'?

It contains a lot of previously unpublished solo piano works by the composer, but I can't find this volume from any internet shops.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Emil Borisovich Sernov wrote:Hello members,

Does anybody have information about 'Dmitri Shostakovich New Collected Works, Vol.109'?

It contains a lot of previously unpublished solo piano works by the composer, but I can't find this volume from any internet shops.
Hi Emil

Vol. 109 (and piano works will go to Vol. 112, with Vol. 113 being the 24 preludes & fugues already in print) has not been published yet. And yes, will include lots of works that have never been published, including Funeral March in Memory of the Fallen Heroes of the Revolution, In the Forest, two Mazurkas, Polka, The Soldier, Hymn to Freedom, three piano pieces, Op 2 Eight preludes etc. So one to keep an eye open when it is finally published (I am hoping sometime this year).

Malcolm
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Terestchenko N.

Post by Caprotti »

Today BNF uploaded some works by Nikolai Terestchenko which apparently contradict the collection of works e.g.available at IMSLP. In particular, there seem to be some "duplicates" or errors comparing a list of works that should have been attributed to him:

Terestchenko - 01 - Echos harmoniques,impromptu
Terestchenko - 02 - Idyll
Terestchenko - 02 - Souvenance
Terestchenko - 03 - Sur l'eau Barcarole
Terestchenko - 03 - Etude de concert

any idea?
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Terestchenko N.

Post by mballan »

Caprotti wrote:Today BNF uploaded some works by Nikolai Terestchenko which apparently contradict the collection of works e.g.available at IMSLP. In particular, there seem to be some "duplicates" or errors comparing a list of works that should have been attributed to him:

Terestchenko - 01 - Echos harmoniques,impromptu
Terestchenko - 02 - Idyll
Terestchenko - 02 - Souvenance
Terestchenko - 03 - Sur l'eau Barcarole
Terestchenko - 03 - Etude de concert

any idea?
BnF are naughty, I ordered these a month back and paid for them, so annoyed they share openly in such a short time. I was going to share on Pianophilia but was going to wait a more suitable time period !!!

Tereshchenko came from an extremely wealthy Ukrainian family, and often visited his brother, Theodore, in France (who was also a composer, primarily of romances). In a similar fashion to Rubinstein (who went to Op 10 before starting again) - Nikolai published his original opus 1-3 (Echos, Souvenance & Etude) through a local French publisher around 1898. Later when back in Russia he seems to have started again (or it could be that the publisher in Russia was not aware of the earlier three opuses). And so we have Op 1 Menuet, Op 2 Idylle and Op 3 Barcarolle - which are the three opuses we usually recognise with Tereshchenko. Again later, when back in France with his brother, Tereshchenko published his Op 26 Twenty-four Preludes through a French publisher, and again it was I who connected these and ordered copies through BnF (who again shared them openly about 6 months later).

We usually are only aware of Tereshchenko writing works up to his cello sonata Op 31...................but I have discovered that he actually wrote works up to Op 61, most being piano pieces (the majority held in Moscow Conservatoire).

I have attached a works list for those who may be interested in this composer.

Malcolm
Tereschenko - full list of works.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.