Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by caostotale »

Wow, that Mosolov quartet scan is still making the rounds. Those days before image-cropping were dark ones indeed :|
lito valle
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Conducting

Post by lito valle »

Mosolov

Three pieces for piano Op.23a
Turkmenian Nights for piano
Mosolov - Three pieces for piano Op. 23a.pdf
Mosolov - Turkmenian Nights- pno..pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

caostotale wrote:Wow, that Mosolov quartet scan is still making the rounds. Those days before image-cropping were dark ones indeed :|
This scan probably came from a pocket or reduced size score. I'll post my mildly spruced up version in the String Quartets section of the Chamber Music discussion forum. The results aren't great and it's got a rather hefty filesize for 44 pages, but I'd rather not lose any resolution.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Jim Faston wrote: This scan probably came from a pocket or reduced size score.
Sorry, I was being facetious. The Mosolov scan is one of mine from a few years ago. It was a miniature score. I don't think it's available in another form.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

caostotale wrote:
Jim Faston wrote: This scan probably came from a pocket or reduced size score.
Sorry, I was being facetious. The Mosolov scan is one of mine from a few years ago. It was a miniature score. I don't think it's available in another form.
I guessed as much...in any event it grew up a bit in the String Quartets section. I originally reworked it so I could print it out without draining an entire toner cartridge :mrgreen: I always get a chuckle from seeing his tempo indication "Presto foxtrotico" in the Scherzo.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Another set of two dozen, this time after the fashion of Bach and Shostakovich...

Sorokin worked as an editor for the state publishing house. What little information I've found suggests that, due to this position, he might have (a.) been exposed to much more Western music than a lot of his contemporaries and (b.) was perhaps not as heavily scrutinized when he composed works that are very Western (i.e. one writer describes his music as having somewhat of a 'French' sound) in style.

In addition to this set of preludes and fugues, he also composed a similar set of 24 'polyphonic preludes and fugues' for younger pianists, several other pedagogical pieces, something like six sonatas, concertos for piano/orchestra (which alfor posted at some point), two-pianos/orchestra, cello/orchestra, and many other piano pieces. Searching for his works can be tricky, as many of the volumes bearing his name are things that he edited rather than things he composed.

Konstantin Stepanovich SOROKIN
Preludes & Fugues (24), for piano, op. 75 (1977)
Sorokin - Preludes and Fugues (24), for piano, op. 75 (1977).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by caostotale on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Alfor posted a small heap of waltzes by this composer at some point. Aside from that, I don't know much about him. He was the 1957 secretary of the USSR Union of Composers and composed a good amount of piano music, including a set of 24 preludes, a sonatina, and the aforementioned waltzes.

Sergei Vasilyevich AKSYUK
Piano Sonata (1981)
Aksyuk - Piano Sonata (1981).pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

On the heels of another Soviet volume Alfor made a long time ago ( viewtopic.php?f=46&t=554&p=4279&hilit=brumberg#p4279 ), here is a second sonata by composer Vladimir Brumberg, inspired by the Valaam archipelago in the Karelia region of northwestern Russia:

Vladimir BRUMBERG
Piano Sonata no. 2 ('Island of Valaam')
Brumberg - Piano Sonata no. 2 ('Valaam Island').pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

...continuing with the same volume, here's a folk-inspired piece by composer Tatiana Nazarova-Metner. I've seen other piano works of hers around, including a concerto, but no biographical info:

Tatiana NAZAROVA-MEDTNER (NAZAROVA-METNER)
Sonata-Poem on Vietnamese Folk Songs
Nazarova-Metner - Sonata-Poema (on Vietnamese folk songs).pdf
(sorry about the first page, they must have been trying to save space and I prefer the files separate).
Last edited by caostotale on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

...and the remainder of that volume (should these always be put together in a single post?):

Boris Sergeyevich MAIZEL (MAYZEL)
http://www.russiancomposers.org.uk/page798.html
Piano Sonata no. 2, op. 54
Maizel - Piano Sonata no. 2, op. 54.pdf
Alexander Alexandrovich KOBLYAKOV
Piano Sonata 'in memory of S. Prokofiev' (1973)
Koblyakov - Sonata (in memory of S. Prokofiev) (1973).pdf